Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Edinburgh or Glasgow or Stirling

Options
  • 04-04-2018 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Making the move to study a course.

I would love to hear people's own opinion on living in either the three above, specifically:

Edinburgh (Mussellburgh
    ) 10km east of Edinburgh

Stirling

Glasgow city

I will be living there for a period of 3-4 years depending on which city I choose to study in.

Just a quick question too regarding healthcare costs, is it all paid for by the government even though i'm EU student residing to study, including GP visit costs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It really depends on what you want in an area.

Stirling is a really nice little town but would obviously be a lot quieter. Really nice for quiet weekends away although does pick up a bit in summer but I probably wouldn't want to live there if I were a student.

I live not far from Musselburgh and its where we do our main shop (it has a tesco extra). As a town its nowhere near as nice as Stirling. There's regular buses to princes St (roughly 30 mins journey on average) and a train station. Its got all the typical things you'd expect from a town of its size in the UK greggs, Costa, whetherspoons etc. It does host a couple of festivals and the theatre has a reasonable line up of shows. If you're studying at Queen Margaret then it would be handy but if you are studying in Edinburgh the commute could start to drag after a while especially with the weather we've been having recently!

If you're talking actual Glasgow then that's probably going to be the most fun spot you're going to have a lot more options for going out than Stirling or Musselburgh. If you like live music you are catered for much better in Glasgow than anywhere else in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭turkeyboy1990

jimmii wrote: »
    It really depends on what you want in an area.

Stirling is a really nice little town but would obviously be a lot quieter. Really nice for quiet weekends away although does pick up a bit in summer but I probably wouldn't want to live there if I were a student.

I live not far from Musselburgh and its where we do our main shop (it has a tesco extra). As a town its nowhere near as nice as Stirling. There's regular buses to princes St (roughly 30 mins journey on average) and a train station. Its got all the typical things you'd expect from a town of its size in the UK greggs, Costa, whetherspoons etc. It does host a couple of festivals and the theatre has a reasonable line up of shows. If you're studying at Queen Margaret then it would be handy but if you are studying in Edinburgh the commute could start to drag after a while especially with the weather we've been having recently!

If you're talking actual Glasgow then that's probably going to be the most fun spot you're going to have a lot more options for going out than Stirling or Musselburgh. If you like live music you are catered for much better in Glasgow than anywhere else in Scotland.
    Very very grateful for your opinion on the above areas!

Are you currently residing in Musselburgh as i’d be really interested in the day to day living costs in terms of groceries etc in comparison to living in Ireland excluding Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Very very grateful for your opinion on the above areas!

Are you currently residing in Musselburgh as i’d be really interested in the day to day living costs in terms of groceries etc in comparison to living in Ireland excluding Dublin.

I live the next town along.

General day to day is still probably a good bit cheaper despite the change in exchange rates in the last couple of years. The biggest difference is council tax as that's quite high in East Lothian. There's a lot of budget shops in Musselburgh so you can live very cheaply if you wish but there's also proper grocers and butchers there too and if you like a burrito then Musselburgh has the best in my opinion! Rents are reasonable for an Edinburgh catchment area but still probably higher than most places outside of Dublin we used to have a really nice sized two bed on the edge of Galway that was €750/month no way you'd get the same for that price round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Was in Scotland last weekend in Glasgow. Been there a few times. Currently living in Manchester and have been for 4 years. Feel the need to move on. Love Glasgow in general to visit. Anyone on here live there and if so, what do ye think of it for a place to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thelonelyhour

Making the move to study a course.

I would love to hear people's own opinion on living in either the three above, specifically:

Edinburgh (Mussellburgh
    ) 10km east of Edinburgh

Stirling

Glasgow city

I will be living there for a period of 3-4 years depending on which city I choose to study in.

Just a quick question too regarding healthcare costs, is it all paid for by the government even though i'm EU student residing to study, including GP visit costs?

Thanks

Which city did you decide in the end? Have been living in Edinburgh for three years now, originally came to study and can only give my opinion of student life from a city perspective, haven’t really spent any time out in Musselburgh. But it is a big student city with an international scene, with lots of cheap flights to Dublin if you book in advance. In terms of size, it’s a really livable city for a capital with good bus services. Again, speaking from the city side of things, not necessarily Musselburgh. Queen Margaret tends to attract a lot of Irish and N.Irish.

Joining a few societies and sports team was also a great way for me to settle in here. In regards to Glasgow, absolutely love the atmosphere there! It’s a 40 minute train journey and you can also get buses for as cheap as £3! It’s a little bit rougher around the edges compared to Edinburgh, but the music scene and vibrancy make it feel more alive than Edinburgh in some ways. Can’t say much about Stirling, only that its shopping centre is a bit of a dive and the castle is lovely, don’t know much about the university side of things.

In relation to the healthcare question, you are able to visit your GP for free, collect prescriptions for free, etc, even if you are a student. It’s strange the first time you visit a doctor’s surgery and just say goodbye and walk out without paging! Once you have a UK address, you can register at your most convenient GP surgery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement