Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwartbles

Options
  • 03-04-2018 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello. I was looking to get in to zwartbles. I was wondering how, where and when to register. And is there a minimum number of ewes you have to have to register. I was thinking about by 3 ewes at the in lamb sale at Tullamore in November.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

They just got approval lately to set up an Irish society.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/zwartbleseirenationalsheepsociety/photos/?ref=page_internal

I'd say if you contact them they'll give you all the information you need if you're looking to go into pedigree breeding.

I'd like to get a few ewe lambs myself though just for commercial purposes. They're lovely looking sheep and seem relatively quiet besides a lot of breeds.
    After that there's the usual sales pitch of prolific, great mothers, milky etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

They are prolific (as they get older they're a bit 2 prolific)
    Can be prone to mastitis, fierce milky.
    Fine animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

They are prolific (as they get older they're a bit 2 prolific)
    Can be prone to mastitis, fierce milky.
    Fine animal.

Would they rear 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Would they rear 3?

3 lambs on a ewe is asking for trouble imo

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

They've enough milk but most people I'd imagine wud rather twins. Maybe they shud b crossed to a cheviot ewe to keep the prolificy down a notch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement