Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT failure Front Axle imbalance

Options
  • 03-04-2018 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Would help if the failure sheet had it written in straight forward English? What does this mean?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

One of your shocks is gone/weak.Tired spring etc.....it will tell you which side.

Are both front tyres the same brand with correct psi ?

It will say nearside or offside.

Nearside is the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sampsych

One of your shocks is gone/weak.Tired spring etc.....it will tell you which side.

Nearside is the left.

Hi, thank you for your reply! So will a garage be able to tell me what it is? If replacing shocks I will replace the two, if it was the springs, I think it would have been more specific? Thank you so much.

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Could equally be tie rods.

The garage will be able to tell you what the problem is.

Nearside is the left.

Here is the NCT failure sheet

I'd take your name reg and vin off that image if I were you.

• Advertisement

Nearside is the left.

Here is the NCT failure sheet

Nearside is the left.

Hi, thank you for your reply! So will a garage be able to tell me what it is? If replacing shocks I will replace the two, if it was the springs, I think it would have been more specific? Thank you so much.

Simon

listermint wrote: »
    Could equally be tie rods.

The garage will be able to tell you what the problem is.

? Really? Confused now? How do you know?
    Cheers

Bring it to the garage , they'll tell you what needs to be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Nothing to do with "tie rods" whatever they are. The front left shock absorber is much weaker than its opposite number and needs to be replaced. It's as well to replace the pair with new ones.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    Nothing to do with "tie rods" whatever they are. The front left shock absorber is much weaker than its opposite number and needs to be replaced. It's as well to replace the pair with new ones.
    Mahameters aren't "higher = better, lower = worse". It tests imbalance, not performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

I’m not a mechanic. I failed with the same thing. I needed 2 new shock absorbers. Not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sampsych wrote: »
    Would help if the failure sheet had it written in straight forward English? What does this mean?
    Cheers

It is simple English, just because you don't understand what it means doesn't mean no one else does. There is an imbalance between the left and right side suspension at the front of your car. 99% of the time it'll be that one of the shocks is worn and allowing more travel than the other. The other 1% of the time it could be a worn or unmatched spring that's causing the imbalance. Buy two new front shocks and get them fitted. Retest your car. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Shocks are about €80 each on Micks garage.

Could be an expensive repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

dingding wrote: »
    Shocks are about €80 each on Micks garage.

Could be an expensive repair.

So €160 for 2 shocks, €50/60 to fit them...how is that an expensive repair????? :rolleyes:

So €160 for 2 shocks, €50/60 to fit them...how is that an expensive repair????? :rolleyes:
    Shocks, springs, top mounts, replacement nuts+bolts, sometimes even dust covers if you buy the cheapest dampers.

Good luck finding anywhere to fit struts for €60 each, nevermind €60 for two.

KYB shocks are €90 each from micksgarage, KYB springs €55, FAI top strut bearing €29 (if you can get away with just the bearings), or €71 if you can't.

KYB aren't high end, they're decidedly mid-range. I've used the sachs/budget types before and they're the equivalent of Chinese tyres as in, they're barely better than the worn components they're replacing.

That's €348(€432 worst case scenario) for parts and 2-3 hours labour minimum.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 worsel

Read the NCT Report ! - It gives the result in mM for each side.

But that doesn't tell you which side id BAD !! .. It measured as imbalance and anything 30% will fail . If you replace a shock it still might FAIL as the imbalance could still be out.

Two bad shocks will pass - two good shocks will pass - But one good and one bad will Fail !!! ..

Anyway does anybody understand what Mm is ??

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2016/0419/782885-testing-the-limits/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 worsel

Mn Test ... Sound awful fishy to me ..

the NCT even states ""There is no single approved method of testing available that can give a threshold to accurately determine whether a car’s shock absorber is defective.""

https://www.thejournal.ie/road-safety-boss-nct-claims-flaws-2729212-Apr2016/

Advertisement