Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Advice for June

Options
  • 03-04-2018 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,010 ✭✭✭✭

hi going to london for a day on the 18th June for a concert in the o2

Land at London City Airport at 13.30pm and plan to visit the view from the shard. Is it possible to get a tube from the airport to the nearest station to the shard ??

If i have time i plan to walk to the british musuem and do that but time might be against me for that sadly

Im staying in the King William Hotel in Greenwich and is it best to get the tube from London Bridge station too Maze hill ??

heard i can get a bus to the o2 near the hotel but how do i pay for it ???

Is there any day passes for all transport links ?/

next day im heading to manchester, so have to get to Euston station for my train leaving at 10.20am ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

PTH2009 wrote: »
    hi going to london for a day on the 18th June for a concert in the o2

Land at London City Airport at 13.30pm and plan to visit the view from the shard. Is it possible to get a tube from the airport to the nearest station to the shard ??

If i have time i plan to walk to the british musuem and do that but time might be against me for that sadly

Im staying in the King William Hotel in Greenwich and is it best to get the tube from London Bridge station too Maze hill ??

heard i can get a bus to the o2 near the hotel but how do i pay for it ???

Is there any day passes for all transport links ?/

next day im heading to manchester, so have to get to Euston station for my train leaving at 10.20am ???

London city airport has a great connection into the city centre. Its the DLR line and attached right into the airport.

Take the DLR into Bank Station (Its the last station so you cant miss it). The shard is about 20 minutes walk from Bank station. Its a nice walk if the weather is nice.

Just leave the station and walk south to the river bank (about 6-7 minutes). You will be able to see the shard on the other side. So just cross the bridge and walk in its direction. No real need for a map.

Otherwise just take the northern line to London Bridge station from Bank. The shard is right beside it.

There is no tube to Maze Hill but there is a train. You pay for it the same way as a tube so no difference really. But ya its your best option. You can get a train there from Cannon Street station (close to bank station) if you need to take it from there for any reason.

Yes take a bus from Maze Hill to the o2. Thats the best option.

As for bus, tube and train transport get a zone 1-3 day travel card.
    London City Airport and Maze Hill are in zone 3. You shouldn't have a need for anything above zone 3.
    You can get the travel card from the self service machines around the DLR station. You insert the ticket into the hole in the gates at the tube and train, and you just show the paper ticket to the bus drivers. Should cost you £12

The better option however is to use a contactless Debit or Credit Card. You just tap them at the gates into the tube, bus and train and it will charge you at the end of the day. They wont charge you more than £8 as there is a fare cap for zones 1-3. So you will just pay £8 + whatever fees your irish bank charges you. Just make sure to use the same card the whole day.

Getting to Euston.

Just get any train from Maze Hill to London Bridge. Im pretty sure they all stop at London Bridge.
    Then take the Northern line to Euston.
    Just use your contactless card.
    It should only take about 35 minutes to get to euston from maze hill.
    Plenty of trains and tubes from very early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,010 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

London city airport has a great connection into the city centre. Its the DLR line and attached right into the airport.

Take the DLR into Bank Station (Its the last station so you cant miss it). The shard is about 20 minutes walk from Bank station. Its a nice walk if the weather is nice.

Just leave the station and walk south to the river bank (about 6-7 minutes). You will be able to see the shard on the other side. So just cross the bridge and walk in its direction. No real need for a map.

Otherwise just take the northern line to London Bridge station from Bank. The shard is right beside it.

There is no tube to Maze Hill but there is a train. You pay for it the same way as a tube so no difference really. But ya its your best option. You can get a train there from Cannon Street station (close to bank station) if you need to take it from there for any reason.

Yes take a bus from Maze Hill to the o2. Thats the best option.

As for bus, tube and train transport get a zone 1-3 day travel card.
    London City Airport and Maze Hill are in zone 3. You shouldn't have a need for anything above zone 3.
    You can get the travel card from the self service machines around the DLR station. You insert the ticket into the hole in the gates at the tube and train, and you just show the paper ticket to the bus drivers. Should cost you £12

The better option however is to use a contactless Debit or Credit Card. You just tap them at the gates into the tube, bus and train and it will charge you at the end of the day. They wont charge you more than £8 as there is a fare cap for zones 1-3. So you will just pay £8 + whatever fees your irish bank charges you. Just make sure to use the same card the whole day.

Getting to Euston.

Just get any train from Maze Hill to London Bridge. Im pretty sure they all stop at London Bridge.
    Then take the Northern line to Euston.
    Just use your contactless card.
    It should only take about 35 minutes to get to euston from maze hill.
    Plenty of trains and tubes from very early in the morning.

cheers

the tube makes the luas line look like playschool stuff

I was in London last summer but only stayed in the stratford/west ham area. Its an amazing city.

heard the shard is much better than the London Eye

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Tip for the Shard - you pay 25 online or 30 quid on the day to go to the viewing platform. If you're dressed fairly smartly, you could go to one of the bars in the Shard instead, buy a drink and get the same view (well a few floors down).

looked on google maps for the route for the tube/train from Maze Hill station to Euston

Maze hill-London Bridge

London Bridge Underground Station- Euston

whats the difference between London Bridge and London Bridge Underground Station ???. are they not the same building ??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

London Bridge train station and London Bridge underground station are linked to each other. You'd just have a short walk from the train platform to the underground platforms.

• Advertisement

Going to go out to the shard from the airport and then get the Thames clipper to the o2 stop and go to hotel from there the Monday

Don't think I'll visit the shard prob explore the area. Didn't get to see Tower Bridge the last time I was London

Advertisement