Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

season 4 sleeping bag

Options
  • 03-04-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Any ideas for a decent bag that won't cost a fortune. Snugpak is highly recommend but its out of my budget. Cheers,Mick

Comments

mick121 wrote: »
    Any ideas for a decent bag that won't cost a fortune. Snugpak is highly recommend but its out of my budget. Cheers,Mick

What is your budget Mick?

How cold (real temperatures) do you need it to be comfortable?

What's your build like? Big, small, fat, skinny and what's your height?

Are you camping in a tent, or what's the rest of your sleeping arrangements?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

JayZeus wrote:

JayZeus wrote:

JayZeus wrote:

JayZeus wrote:

JayZeus wrote:

JayZeus wrote:

JayZeus wrote:

JayZeus wrote:

Wouldn't want to go over €100 hopefully closer to €80.have a season 3 and I find it a bit chilly over winter.I am on blood thinners and as a result I tend to feel the cold.In a tent on my own,scouts all about me.I'm 5ft 7in tall 12 stone,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

For that price range you are best looking at mil-surplus arctic sleeping bags (British, Dutch, US etc.). Less than €100 woun't get you much though.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Snugpak-SLEEPER-EXTREME-BLACK-Basecamp-4-Season-Heavy-Weight-Sleeping-Bag/232215777835?hash=item361123922b:g:mugAAOSwnHZYhzIo

Free P&P to the Belfast parcel motel drop site.

Well inside your budget and not a bad bag for the money either.

JayZeus wrote:

JayZeus wrote:
    Well inside your budget and not a bad bag for the money either.

Thanks for that,I appreciate it.I'll wait a day or two just in case anyone has other suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

Thanks for that,I appreciate it.I'll wait a day or two just in case anyone has other suggestions.

Is weight/bulk a factor? Will you be carrying in a backpack?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

JayZeus wrote:

€60 in Greatoutdoors. Will probably give you 10% dicount if in the scouts.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    €60 in Greatoutdoors. Will probably give you 10% dicount if in the scouts.

Yeah, good catch there!

€59 and they include free delivery on orders over 50 euro if you're not local OP.

Not overly as I get dropped and collected from scout camps,but I do put it in the top of my bag.

Actually just to add, make sure your sleeping mat/pad is up to scratch as well.

I was camping on Lugnaquilla on Saturday night. My bag is rated to -11 but I've been 'winging it' with a foam mat I've had for about 20 years. It's grand in summer, but not great in winter/on snow. Leak so much heat from under you, so it might not just be the bag you need to look at?

• Advertisement

CardinalJ wrote:
    I was camping on Lugnaquilla on Saturday night. My bag is rated to -11 but I've been 'winging it' with a foam mat I've had for about 20 years. It's grand in summer, but not great in winter/on snow. Leak so much heat from under you, so it might not just be the bag you need to look at?

I have a foil backed foam mat which I would have thought was ok,seen as it has the foil,but I'm still learning lol

I have a foil backed foam mat which I would have thought was ok,seen as it has the foil,but I'm still learning lol

A foam mat is okay for starters, but don't put too much faith in the foil backing turning it into something especially effective. The real upgrade comes from something like an Exped DownMat XP9 or Thermarest NeoAir or Prolite (full length only!) but they're likely to be WAAAy out of budget. But weight of your kit isn't a deciding factor at the moment anyway, is it?

Considering you're getting dropped to the campsite when you're out with the scouts, I'm going to jump right to recommending you add a cheap inflatable mattress to your kit. A decent nights sleep is all the more important when you've a bunch of kids/teens to be looking after and with many years of experience as a leader, I think you'd be mad not to get one.

Throw the air mattress, a pump and your sleeping bag into a duffel bag. I'd even throw a pillow in there to be honest. There's enough to be getting on with already on a scout camp to be having a bad nights sleep. Nah. Feck that.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6342470/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports%2Band%2Bleisure%7C14419152/c_2/3%7C19719011%7CCamping%7C14419397/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419397%7CAir%2Bbeds%7C50000663.htm

Or better still:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8043863/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/3%7C19719011%7CCamping%7C14419397/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419397%7CCamping+beds%7C14419400.htm

mick121 wrote:

Foam can be fine, mine is just crushed and over the hill. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

get a fleece liner for about a tenner?

JayZeus wrote:
    A foam mat is okay for starters, but don't put too much faith in the foil backing turning it into something especially effective. The real upgrade comes from something like an Exped DownMat XP9 or Thermarest NeoAir or Prolite (full length only!) but they're likely to be WAAAy out of budget. But weight of your kit isn't a deciding factor at the moment anyway, is it?

JayZeus wrote:
    Considering you're getting dropped to the campsite when you're out with the scouts, I'm going to jump right to recommending you add a cheap inflatable mattress to your kit. A decent nights sleep is all the more important when you've a bunch of kids/teens to be looking after and with many years of experience as a leader, I think you'd be mad not to get one.

JayZeus wrote:
    Throw the air mattress, a pump and your sleeping bag into a duffel bag. I'd even throw a pillow in there to be honest. There's enough to be getting on with already on a scout camp to be having a bad nights sleep. Nah. Feck that.

Cheers jayzeus,I have a self inflating air mat which I find ok.its about a 2inches when inflated.I put my foil mat under that to try ease the ground cold.

get a fleece liner for about a tenner?[/quoteis that a sleeping bag liner?,are they that good.thanks everybody for all the information, lots of good advice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Hot water bottle is great if you can squeeze it in. Old fashioned but hey......it's cold.

Just an update, thanks for all the great advice.I bought a snugpak season 5 for 105e plus about 12e delivery. It was a bit over budget but I spent the weekend in the burren and the bag was toastie.I ended up unzipping a bit and removing the hood about 5am both mornings.I am well happy ( and well warm :) )

Advertisement