Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise regulations - inconsiderate neighbour

Options
  • 03-04-2018 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi All,

Are there any regulations specifying maximum engine noise allowed from motorbike? My neighbor bought a motorbike and he believes that all people from the area enjoys noise from revving his engine at any time of the day. I hoped that after month of getting his motorbike he would calm down and drive like every normal person (and there is good few motorbike owners around). Not him, every morning (6 am, 7 am) any day (weekends, why not?) he revs his engine and wakes everyone in the estates around. I live 50 meters away from him and noise is just getting through the walls, waking up kids very often. He goes revving his engine through entire estate, and main roads, you can hear his motorbike from a mile away.
    I know i could go and ask him to be more considerate to other people but he can just tell me to f off. I don't know this lad at all so it's even more difficult.
    If there is a law that regulates maximum noise from the engine (which i know it exists in other EU countries) I could get him reported. Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Report him to the gardai...you'll get knobheads in every walk of life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If all you say is true the guy sounds like a knob.

He may have put race pipes on his bike, which are illegal. These can be checked by the police (if they're bothered).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Definitely not me. I never leave the house before 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

If it was me I would ask him politely as a first option and if they persist then he would be walking everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sounds like a right bell end. I've been half mortified by the noise coming off my own exhaust due to the honking great hole in it, but ****es like that make us all look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Why not talk to him? He probably doesn't realise how loud it is inside other peoples houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cienciano wrote: »
    Why not talk to him? He probably doesn't realise how loud it is inside other peoples houses.

Id say he does though.... were all bikers here but you know when you exhaust is loud, the difference is giving a sh%6

You could have a chat..but if that fails...option 2

IMG_0415.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

What the fcuk? That looks quite unpleasant. If you do talk to him about it and he tells you to feck off then when the popo show up he is not going to be long guessing who sent them. Just report him and let the gardai handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If you don't know him, don't approach him. Let the Garda have a word.

You don't know him, how he will act etc.. Best leave it to the Garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

My neighbour had a firestorm and a ducati and would go on Sunday morning spins around 8 am. Nobody got a lie in on our road!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I put the baffle back in on my FZ1. Was a bit too loud at time. I didn't want to piss off the new neighbours .. I'd just moved.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    My neighbour had a firestorm and a ducati and would go on Sunday morning spins around 8 am. Nobody got a lie in on our road!!!!

Not suprised..i'd be out taking pictures too.....the man that can ride two bikes at once....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My old BMW R1100S exhaust sound (and flames).

Out of consideration to my neighbor I'd never start it in the garden or race it off or onto the road.

We all know when we have a loud bike, and we should show some consideration for the environment where we live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Op it all depends or certain circumstances. Can I ask when exactly he ''revs'' the bike? is he working on it at the time? is he a mechanic doing nixers?

All bikes when started will idle high for up to 2 minutes before dropping down to a low rev.

If he starts his bike and sets off within 3 minutes and leaves the estate im not sure there is much you can do about it apart from any race mods as mentioned above.

Personally I have a blackbird which is very loud but I would only commute on it if im on an afternoon shift. My NC is no louder than a small car starting so setting off at 6am is no problem noise wise.

Ps if its a scobe on a scrambler bike that frequents the local fields then your screwed as he wont listen

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

If the bike is excessively noisy then he probably has an aftermarket exhaust and also taken out the baffle. It takes 2 minutes to screw it back in and makes a hell of a difference (I love the noise but I'm also aware of the environment - It still sounds good with the baffle inside).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

You can take him to Court yourself under Section 108 of the Environmental Protection Act

And here is the Form that you need to fill out.

Getting the Guards to deal with it, you can do one of 4 things:
    1. The Guard may tell you it's a civil matter between yourself and your neighbour, and recommend you bring him to Court under the EPA Act above.

2. Make the complaint to the local Guards, Community Policing Guard preferably, if you have one, and just ask him to have a word with pal.

3. Complain to your local Traffic Corps, who might be in possession of a sound meter, which can measure the decibel level from the exhaust, and they can prosecute him for the excessively noisy exhaust. They will have to stop him first riding in a public place before they can conduct the test. (Very few Traffic Corps have the Sound Meter, and it is an awful contraption to use.)

4. It's not done, but the issue you have is the public annoyance with the loud exhaust, not the technical features of the bike. It's a Public Order issue, and it should be treated as such IMO. You never see it happen, but pal could be warned that he may be prosecuted under Section 5 of the Public Order Act. To be prosecuted, he needs to warned first by a Guard of his behaviour, which brings you back to point number 1!

Plus it's only a Fixed Charge Notice. so it reduces the likelihood of you having to go to Court to give evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Ah here come on, people want a lad prosecuted because he has a loud exhaust? Talk about over the top, have a word with him, im sure hes not aware that hes annoying people and will take it a bit easier around the local area.
    To be honest the lads I know would all take that onboard,
    If you need to contact the cops do that, im sure they will put a team right on it, sure all the drug crime, burglaries etc can wait, if theres a lad spinning round with a loud exhaust, maybe there is even a full division they could put on the case :rolleyes:

cadete wrote: »
    Ah here come on, people want a lad prosecuted because he has a loud exhaust? Talk about over the top, have a word with him, im sure hes not aware that hes annoying people and will take it a bit easier around the local area.
    To be honest the lads I know would all take that onboard,
    If you need to contact the cops do that, im sure they will put a team right on it, sure all the drug crime, burglaries etc can wait, if theres a lad spinning round with a loud exhaust, maybe there is even a full division they could put on the case :rolleyes:
    If theres a guy on a bike with a loud pipe and a guy selling drugs to kids across the road..we all know which one the guards will choose to deal with...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Why not just actually talk to the guy, have people no cop on these days, going on a forum asking about legal advice because your too pussy to approach the guy and just say mate your waking me up please take it easy in the mornings ffs

No doubt he will apologise and take it easy if approached on it, only a prick is going to look you in the eye and say no I'm going to rev it even louder , pretty doubtful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

My bike is quite loud and I only really start it when putting helmet one and take off up the road easy .
    But if this lad is out at 6am revving it for no reason.....wtf. Clearly has no respect.
    Most bikers are conscious of how loud the bikes are (safer IMO) and generally don't want to be a nuisance.
    Just talk to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I think if you approach him in a friendly manor and let him know it's a bit loud he should be happy enough to keep the dbs down.

That said, he doesn't sound like the greatest ambassador for bikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I don't advise approaching him OP. Sure we'd all love if he was a nice guy,and apologised and was more conscious of his bike noise in the future or fitted a proper exhaust.
    However, his behavior is that of an inconsiderate asshole to be making such loud noise early in the morning. Considering this, he could potentially be an aggressive animal bastard.

I'd be inclined to make repeated complaints to the community Gardai until they approach him about it. Tell them that you are afraid to approach him yourself because you are fearful that he could *potentially* be aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The friendly chat at first sounds like the best option... But... I think I'd let the gardai or official have that chat first.. If he's pissing off loads of people get your local councillor In on it.. Might take a good few of yee ringing him or her to get them to act...
    Hopefully a gard saying to keep it down a bit will sort it to éveryones satisfaction..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Assume from the lack of response from the OP that he got it sorted, moved to Sandyford or is on R.I.P .ie.........:D

Advertisement