Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favorite Spielberg Sci-Fi Movie

Options
  • 02-04-2018 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭

Just watched a Spielberg interview available on the BBC iPlayer currently where the focus of the interview was on his sci-fi movies.

My fav of his sci-fi movies would be Close Encounters of The Third Kind. In the interview they talk about how they chose that famous alien five note sequence.
    I still remember watching it at xmas as a teenager so many years ago. Magical stuff. I also love Poltergeist if that can be called sci-fi - probably.

Whats yours? ET, Jurassic Park etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Jurassic Park. I was lucky enough to have this as my first cinema experience and I still love it today. Spielberg was introduced to CGI during the making of this but was clever enough to only use it for scenes that that blended it into the background. Example the T Rex breaking out in the dark while raining.

Still looks great today and has several iconic scenes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

It would probably be Jurassic Park for me aswell. I think I was 9 when it came out and it was one of those films where you just had a great feeling coming out of the cinema.

E.T is also a classic and I really liked Minority Report and A.I but A.I was a bit creepy.

I had high expectations for War of the Worlds but was dissapointed because i didn't feel it lived up to the Jeff Wayne Musical War of the Worlds which Im a big fan of since I was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,087 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Close Encounters of The Third Kind' for me as well. But I think his best film over all is still 'Jaws'.

The thing with 'Close Encounters of The Third Kind' is he wasn't afraid to make certain things permanent. Roy's family is a nightmare and when Ronnie takes the kids and leaves, that's it. There's no shitty reunion and happy ending. No, Roy gets on the spaceship cos his life on Earth is crap. :pac:

There's an unspoken edginess in the film, like when the aliens return the pilots of Flight 19. They're all still young men, but all their families and sweethearts will be old or dead. There's going to be years of therapy involved there.

It's expertly put together as well. Speilberg keeps the tension levels quite high all the way through. Even the opening is great, where the ATC is asking a couple of flights to confirm a UFO sighting. Such a simple scene, but totally effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

A.I; Artificial Intelligence for me. Such an underrated film.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,244 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ET, but for pretty much the same reason as everyone's saying Jurassic Park: one of the first few movies I saw in the cinema and Elliot was one of the first characters I saw in a movie that I really felt an empathy with.

Interesting that everyone's going for his early movies.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭AllForIt

ET, but for pretty much the same reason as everyone's saying Jurassic Park: one of the first few movies I saw in the cinema and Elliot was one of the first characters I saw in a movie that I really felt an empathy with.

Interesting that everyone's going for his early movies.

Showing my age perhaps but I'm old enough remember his movies from the beginning. I'd generally think myself that as time went on his later movies hits weren't as impressive for me personally but that could be because his style of direction, which is so unique to him, I had already become accustomed too.

I did like Jurassic Park myself at the time but looking back on it now it wouldn't be one of his movies I would watch again and again - well except maybe for the scene where things start to go downhill! And the score was beautiful.

I'd agree with the poster who mentioned Jaws. Would def put it in his top 3 movies from the first 10 years of his career, even all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Jurassic park will have to be up there as a kid watching it, it blew my mind.

Thought war of worlds had good promise but loses interest fairly early, thought Signs did it better

Jaws is fantastic

Off topic but, Catch me if you can is up there as one which i really do enjoy watching, Saving private ryan is a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Tbh I can't even look at Spielberg or George Lucas anymore without thinking of what they did to Indiana Jones in South Park :/ only messing :D

Advertisement