Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell from pipes?

Options
  • 02-04-2018 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hey

I have converted the downstairs loo into a laundry room with a washing machine.
    I have fitted a trap which goes into the waste pipe but I'm getting a strong sewer smell/rotten eggs.
    I've cleaned out the washings machine filter and no leaks coming from the trap.
    Its only gotten really bad the last week so I've no idea what the issue is.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Possibly need a p trap on the outlet off your washing machine between it and the waist pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Attie wrote: »
    Possibly need a p trap on the outlet off your washing machine between it and the waist pipe.

I have this fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What way is the washing machine trap connection made onto the drain?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    What way is the washing machine trap connection made onto the drain?

It basically just sits straight into the drain with a rubber seal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    It basically just sits straight into the drain with a rubber seal

They need to be a good tight fit each way and best to use a sealant as well as the smallest gap will allow odours to pass.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    They need to be a good tight fit each way and best to use a sealant as well as the smallest gap will allow odours to pass.

So I've sealed the section where the trap enters the waste pipe but still getting a smell.
    The pipe goes straight out of the house and there doesn't seem to be anything blocked.
    Is it time for a plumber or if there is a small blockage that I don't see?maybe a fella to check and unblock the drain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Have you tried running a maintenance wash?

Modern washing powders/liquids don't have the necessary ingredients to break down the bacteria etc inside the machine,

Personally I use two dishwasher tabs on the highest heat setting once every month or two.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Have you tried running a maintenance wash?

Modern washing powders/liquids don't have the necessary ingredients to break down the bacteria etc inside the machine,

Personally I use two dishwasher tabs on the highest heat setting once every month or two.

No never tried that,we did stop using a certain washing tablet that we thought might be clogging the machine with no change
    Should dish washer tablets be used in washing machines or are there special ones I can buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    No never tried that,we did stop using a certain washing tablet that we thought might be clogging the machine with no change
    Should dish washer tablets be used in washing machines or are there special ones I can buy

Dish washing tablets are fine, I just use the cheap dunnes best ones tbh but you can buy special stuff for maintenance washes,I have used them before and the
    dish tabs works just as good.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Dish washing tablets are fine, I just use the cheap dunnes best ones tbh but you can buy special stuff for maintenance washes,I have used them before and the
    dish tabs works just as good.

Ok I have done a few washes with the tablets but the smell is still there.
    Is it a job for a plumber to fit a new and improved trap?I kinda rulled out a blockage in the waste pipe as everything seems to be flowing OK.the smell is bad when I come down in the morning.I can't tell if the smell originated from the waste pipe or the trap

Any help

• Advertisement
Advertisement