Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid range camera phone - recommendations

Options
  • 02-04-2018 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi folks, I'm looking to upgrade from my moto g 3rd gen. I'm hoping you can help me find a good alternative!

In all honestly the most use of the phone will be watching youtube videos and use of instragam. I'm looking for a phone with a good camera and video, something with good autofocus for videos. I'd like to take good photos in light & dark environments. Also the ability to play PUBG, other mobile games every now and again.

E:
    I use my phone quite a bit for email and messaging apps. General internet usage too. I also use it to study and read pdfs.

I've been looking at the Honor Phones from Littlewoods and the P10. Also I've found the Honor 9 apealing on amazon.co.uk but I'm a bit fearful that it wouldn't work here. Hover Ive been told the Honor 9 doesn't have OIS, would this be a necessary for taking good low light shots?

Any advice appreciated.

What features are important to you in a phone?
    Camera/Video

Form factor
    Touchscreen

Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    Mostly use Wifi at home, public transport. Data with my operator an odd time.

Operator - Three

Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free
    Pre Pay/Sim Free

Price range 300 - 450, I'd of course pick a less expensive one if I got bang for my buck. Been saving a while.

Earbuds/Speaker - Are these a deal breaker if included or not?
    Earphone jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Hi folks, I'm looking to upgrade from my moto g 3rd gen. I'm hoping you can help me find a good alternative!

In all honestly the most use of the phone will be watching youtube videos and use of instragam. I'm looking for a phone with a good camera and video, something with good autofocus for videos. I'd like to take good photos in light & dark environments. Also the ability to play PUBG, other mobile games every now and again.

I've been looking at the Honor Phones from Littlewoods and the P10. Also I've found the Honor 9 apealing on amazon.co.uk but I'm a bit fearful that it wouldn't work here. Hover Ive been told the Honor 9 doesn't have OIS, would this be a necessary for taking good low light shots?

Any advice appreciated.

What features are important to you in a phone?
    Camera/Video

Form factor
    Touchscreen

Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    Mostly use Wifi at home, public transport. Data with my operator an odd time.

Operator - Three

Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free
    Pre Pay/Sim Free

Price range 300 - 450

Earbuds/Speaker - Are these a deal breaker if included or not?
    Earphone jack
    yes I'd definitely recommend the Honor/Huawei phones. They will work from amazon no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Looking for similar spec, not prepared to pay the crazy prices for things like an S9.

Will be interested to see what people recommend.

From what I gather the Xiaomi Mi A1 is supposed to be the best mid range phone at the moment. Not sure where best to buy it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

mrcheez wrote: »
    From what I gather the Xiaomi Mi A1 is supposed to be the best mid range phone at the moment. Not sure where best to buy it though.
    honorbuy eu warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Moto G6 plus?
    Due to be announced this month.

Or the Nokia 7 plus. 6" and 3800mah battery.
    Android One so will get good level of updates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭biebiebie

mrcheez wrote: »

A great value phone.
    However it's missing NFC.
    Might be a deal breaker for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

Huawei P10 lite is what I'm using at the min,battery lasts the day,camera is very good for what I use it for,I got mine free on an upgrade but you can get them sim free for less than €240 very hard to beat imo.

Huawei P20 Lite for €299 on Prepay with Three... I think I spotted it for 279 in-store.

That a good phone? I'm with Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I recently upgraded from the Moto G4 Play (pretty much the same as G3) to a Moto G5S and it's a world above the old phone. Better camera, better screen, more storage, way faster, turbo charging, fingerprint unlock.

Available from Amazon too for a very decent price, I'd highly recommend it.

Advertisement