Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL - CELT vs CELTA

Options
  • 01-04-2018 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I will soon finish my Bachelor's degree and am considering teaching English as a foreign language in Dublin.

On the one hand CELTA is reportedly the most widely recognised TEFL qualification worldwide, on the other hand the CELT courses are usually several hundred euros cheaper.

I know that the CELT and CELTA qualifications are equivalent.

I am wondering if anyone has ever been turned down for a job, in Ireland or abroad, because their prospective employer did not know what a CELT qualification was or only employed people with a CELTA qualification?

Are the couple hundred euros extra for a CELTA course worth it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I have a CELTA and a colleague said something to me that really stuck with me:

Why get a qualification that you have to explain to people rather than the most recognised one?

Is it worth a couple hundred euros more? That depends on where you want to teach. In Ireland, I'm sure it's recognised. Other places in the world you'll have to explain what it is. If you are in a country that is very image orientated, I'd image you'll have more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pdevine15

I am in the same situation, contemplating which to choose. CELTA has the most prestige, but the CELT does seem like a viable option. The course layout seems is very similar to the CELTA, plus it is significantly cheaper - about 600-800 euros.

I'm more concerned about whether the CELT would provide me with the same level of training as the CELTA, not so much about the course's recognition. I plan on moving to Columbia in January and I think the CELT would be enough to find work.

If anyone has completed a CELT course and could give some more info that would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I will soon finish my Bachelor's degree and am considering teaching English as a foreign language in Dublin.

Just curious:

Why not teach English abroad? That is the major advantage of being an English teacher...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chazMeister

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Just curious:

Why not teach English abroad? That is the major advantage of being an English teacher...

I got rid of most of my wanderlust while on Erasmus.

Also it doesn't seem like my grandmother has much more time to live so I'd rather stay here until she passes.

Personally I would do the CELTA. Two reasons:

1. As you say, it's widely recognised, so should I want to eventually teach abroad it would be the best option.
    2. I always prefer to get the "better" qualification, even if it's slightly more expensive. EUR 600 - 800 extra isn't a huge amount of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

The CELT is highly recognised in Ireland - completed a course recently and some classmates have secured employment, while I am to hear back about one interview and have another one lined up. It's externally examined, recognised by the Department of Education and involves a lot of hands-on teaching practice and classroom hours with qualified teacher trainers, so is very reputable. I can't speak about getting work with it abroad myself directly, but I know some of our teacher trainers for the course previously worked abroad with CELT qualifications - in Spain, Russia, Korea and other countries. The CELTA is an excellent qualification also - personally I chose the course I took because the dates and location suited me.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

I met someone recently who has been teaching English in China - with a qualification they got from an Internet course! Based on that I'd imagine the CELT qualification, followed up with a stint teaching in Ireland would be perfectly acceptable for teaching abroad?

For teaching (legally) in Asia the qualifications required are a degree and no HIV. Having a white face helps enormously, and anything extra (e.g. TEFL) is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Yeah an old schoolfriend is working in Hong Kong with a degree and a cert earned online. A CELT/CELTA is a much better investment, though, as many schools in Ireland won't give you a second glance without one.

Advertisement