Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asking please advice re shopping help

• 01-04-2018 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

I have never asked for any help with things like this but at present my illness has become very active and as I live in a very remote area, shopping fr food etc is draining me. Just cannot face it this week.

I was looking at tesco delivery service and also wondered what help there might be? They would need to liaise with the ferry folk as I am offshore but that has been done before

Many thinks, or even THANKS!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sorry to hear that you're struggling a bit. I'd imagine that local knowledge and contacts might be more fruitful than your online query here on the situation for getting the Tesco lad on the ferry. In general, it would be illegal for Tesco to discriminate against you on grounds of your disability, but there is nothing in law that prevents them from limiting deliveries to certain areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sorry to hear that you're struggling a bit. I'd imagine that local knowledge and contacts might be more fruitful than your online query here on the situation for getting the Tesco lad on the ferry. In general, it would be illegal for Tesco to discriminate against you on grounds of your disability, but there is nothing in law that prevents them from limiting deliveries to certain areas.

Thanks

tesco would hand over the delivery to the ferryman as it is not a car ferry. I was not sure re the distance tesco will cover?

Tomorrow will email tesco and see what their costs are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Just from memory, because I have never used it much, but usually you have to book a delivery slot with them, so it might not be the easiest thing to coordinate.

Maybe sign up and do a trial shop, to see if it is feasible, cost, delivery area etc? I hope that you get sorted. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Graces7, I realise you posted looking for specific advice about getting your shopping from Tesco, but I wonder if more general suggestions would be useful, given the forum.

You have moved, fairly recently, to an offshore island. You have previous experience of living on islands, I think. You certainly have experience of living in a remote area (in Kerry, I think). You have said yourself that your health is disimproving, and age catches up with all of us. So why not live in a less remote area, on the mainland, within reach of shops and services? Surely it would be better to do it now while you are still fit enough to organise it, than wait until you are maybe in a nursing home because you cannot take care of yourself in a remote house.

looksee wrote: »
    Graces7, I realise you posted looking for specific advice about getting your shopping from Tesco, but I wonder if more general suggestions would be useful, given the forum.

You have moved, fairly recently, to an offshore island. You have previous experience of living on islands, I think. You certainly have experience of living in a remote area (in Kerry, I think). You have said yourself that your health is disimproving, and age catches up with all of us. So why not live in a less remote area, on the mainland, within reach of shops and services? Surely it would be better to do it now while you are still fit enough to organise it, than wait until you are maybe in a nursing home because you cannot take care of yourself in a remote house.

Ah thank you but moving is not on the cards. I am seeking ways to get supplies here is all. My family will take care of me when need be so no nursing home .

I have struggled with no power for months and no internet and other things ..so thinking more deeply now

I am simply asking re organising supplies as I have done elsewhere successfully . That is all, Everything else here is perfect for my way of life and this setback is probably temporary

I really also wondered if as in the UK Social Services might help? At one time I had a home help who simply shopped . I have no idea re the system here so was asking re that also.

Blessings and thanks for caring

• Advertisement

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Just from memory, because I have never used it much, but usually you have to book a delivery slot with them, so it might not be the easiest thing to coordinate.

Maybe sign up and do a trial shop, to see if it is feasible, cost, delivery area etc? I hope that you get sorted. Take care of yourself.

Thanks

That would work when they know they have to fit in with a ferry time. Maybe! Will try tomorrow and see.

Usually I am fine to cross then drive to wherever I want to shop. Just seems sensible to have a plan B in case of greater need like now. The food for the cats and dog is the most important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Take care, and I hope that you can get your shopping in. :)

Hopefully sorted and a delivery expected today.

It has been a saga.

Tesco did not reply.

Tried V de P after reading their website. They offered me all the free food I wanted from the Food Bank but I or someone else would have to collect from Ballina

Tried Age Action after reading their website. Well, "all older people" as long as you do not live in West Mayo .

Then it occurred to me that each Thursday there is a ferry that connects with the community bus service to take shoppers to a nearby town.. so I emailed the supermarket there, supervalu,and hopefully today will see a large grocery order at my gate. They have been helpfulness personified. And are happy too this and to do it each week .
    All by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Might be worth considering calling your Social Worker in the hospital nearest to you and explaining the situation. Best of luck.

Thankfully not needed.

The first order came in last week, all beautifully packed and excellent quality. Great customer service.

Rashers wrote: »
    Might be worth considering calling your Social Worker in the hospital nearest to you and explaining the situation. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Nearly two months on and all is well established. I order by email using the supervalu web site to make a list, emailing the shop where the islanders are taken to...

It gets delivered here.

Have not been really well since this need arose so it is a huge blessing and a peace . It is not putting busy folk to any extra work and the shop are glad of the trade .. Odd thing is that I had to think of it myself but then that is the best way.

I am currently without transport so this is an extra boon and even when I get mobile etc I will leave the facility in place so I can enjoy time out without heavy shopping..

Happy!

Advertisement