Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Import or buy local? Plus which model should I go for?

Options
  • 31-03-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I am looking to upgrade my car after starting a new job, something along the lines of a second-hand A4, Passat, Mondeo etc. I have no children at the moment so a 2 seater or something sporty is not out of the question however I don't want my insurance to go sky high either.

I live in Dublin however I also run a business online based in the Uk and have a permanent address over there and visit once a month. I was thinking of buying a motor in the UK and importing it here (paying VRT)

I was also thinking of HP/Car Loan/PCP over here.

What are my options and what would ye recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice given, much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you have no car to trade here then importing is definitely the way to go as there is good value with the exchange rate. However you will not get HP or PCP if you import. You would probably have to go personal loan for that and that usually means a higher interest rate.

As to what to get well with no children in toe and looking for something a bit sporty looking but still practical then look towards something like an Audi A5 Sportback, BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe or even a VW CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HorseField

Cheers Bazz, I currently have a 2010 Astra so I will probably sell that privately over here.

I will then try and get a car loan over here and import. Is this an option or will I have to buy an Irish vehicle?

Thanks for your quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends on the bank your borrowing from, some of them insist that you buy from a VAT registered dealer here. Credit Union don't have the same conditions and a personal loan from a bank won't but you might be paying a higher interest rate for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Passats and mondeos , avensis and the likes are really falling out of fashion in the uk and here to a lesser degree , so make sure you bargain hard as you might have trouble selling on, buyers are switching to SUV type variants instead, so much so Toyota are ceasing Avensis production in the UK . Alternatives to your list would be CHR hybrid - vrt friendly,Rav 4, Ateca, Kuga, Karoq ,Etc

Advertisement