Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you identify this place?

Options
  • 31-03-2018 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Good morning everybody,
    While browsing the web I came across this picture tagged as "Castle Oliver". Now, I googled and found that there's a place with this name a couple of miles southeast from Ardpatrick, in the Kilfinane area. But this is the only photo with that name, and if I google "Castle Oliver" I see different images.
    Could anyone, please, tell me something about it?
    Thanks a million in advance!

446982.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Its definietly not Castle Oliver anyway have not seen it before though

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where did you find the photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Apparently it's one of the original gate lodges to Castle Oliver in Ardpatrick, Co.Limerick.
    Castle Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Victor wrote: »
    Where did you find the photo?
    Well, you know, you look for a thing and Google returns different things :)
    I cannot tell what I was actually looking for on Google, but this photo was among many others, I was curious, so I dragged the picture in the search box and it came out as Castle Oliver. Googling Castle Oliver, though, gave me other pictures and none of them was like this one. So I decided to ask people who may know it better  :)

EDIT: I remembered what I was googling. I was looking for images of Bruree Castle and the 6th photo in the page was of this building.

coastwatch wrote: »
    Apparently it's one of the original gate lodges to Castle Oliver in Ardpatrick, Co.Limerick.
    Castle Oliver
    Thanks, that link clarifies most things!

• Advertisement

Happy Easter everybody, thanks for your time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Back in the day when I was a PA for steve guttenberg, we did a couple of shoots around Castle Oliver. I don't recall seeing that though, but that was back in the mid 80's. maybe they have rebuilt it since?

Yester wrote: »
    Back in the day when I was a PA for steve guttenberg, we did a couple of shoots around Castle Oliver. I don't recall seeing that though, but that was back in the mid 80's. maybe they have rebuilt it since?
    Actually the linked article says it's an old gateway no longer in use. Could it be in some hidden part of the property, away from the public access?

Actually the linked article says it's an old gateway no longer in use. Could it be in some hidden part of the property, away from the public access?

Maybe. We had full access to the property though. the whole place was pretty much a ruin.

Maybe. We had full access to the property though. the whole place was pretty much a ruin.
    May I ask you what movie were you making at that site?
    Anyway it doesn't look like it's been rebuilt in the last 30 years, it looks much older.
    May I ask you what movie you were making at that castle?

• Advertisement

High Spirits

I think about 5 seconds of footage made into the final film. A couple of ghosts on the gate lodge I think.

Thanks, Yester, very helpful indeed!

I can't remember if I ever watched that movie, but if I have a chance I will watch it (again).

EDIT:  IMDb says the movie was filmed at Dromore Castle. Is it a mistake of the website?

No bother. If you are coming over to see it for yourself give me a shout. I'm fairly familiar with the area and I know a good spot for a pint.

No bother. If you are coming over to see it for yourself give me a shout. I'm fairly familiar with the area and I know a good spot for a pint.
    Of course I will let you know! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »

That's amazing! :D
    Thanks so so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

testicles wrote: »

There are so many gems out Ballhoura way that are so under recognised imo. I wonder do many tourists (or locals!) coming into Limerick even realise that Castle Oliver and/or Ballyhoura mountains exist. Should be much better connected with the city and promoted more imo.

I'm a tourist and I love every hidden corner of your country, and you have many of them. This is an interesting spot, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Kanye and Kim got married there if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement