Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dingle Inner Relief Road - Phase 4 [open to traffic]

Options
  • 31-03-2018 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

Have Searched Kerry council site and Googled , but no luck. Work is in progress for about 3 weeks now.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

dohouch wrote: »
    Have Searched Kerry council site and Googled , but no luck. Work is in progress for about 3 weeks now.

Not being a smart ass but have you tried contacting the council directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

http://lap.kerrycoco.ie/dingle/dingle/dingle_map2a.htm

This is the only map I can find and it seems broadly correct. I don't think the link from Strand st. to Goat St. is still on the cards.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is starting to get well underway now with a lot of clearance work visible from the Spa Road side - there is a great view of the road coming down the last stretch of the Dingle Relief Road completed.

There doesn't seem to be much activity visible from the Goat Street side - is it still expected to dock on Goat Street just beside the Chapel Lane junction or will it be further west closer to the old hospital?

marno21 wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be much activity visible from the Goat Street side - is it still expected to dock on Goat Street just beside the Chapel Lane junction or will it be further west closer to the old hospital?

Have been wondering that too -- it would make far more sense to have the junction near the old hospital but I think it's still due to exit somewhere just above Chapel Lane. I'm curious too about what kind of junction the relief road will have with the very busy Spa Road/Conor Pass road. It's much busier than the John St junction and space seems tight for a roundabout.

News item on Raidio na Gaeltachta today saying that this section of road will not be open for at least another two months.
    There will be traffic lights (the first in Dingle - though there are pedestrian crossings) at its junction with the Spa Road/Conor Pass Road. This has the potential to create delays at certain times. The Pobalscoil entrance is just metres from the junction, as is the Lidl supermarket, a doctors surgery, cattle mart, public car park (which could become a rat run as people try to skip the lights) and there is a hotel being developed on the junction itself.
    There will also be a pedestrian entrance to the Pobalscoil on the relief road - so I presume some sort of crossing will be needed there.
    Widening work is ongoing on Goat St where the relief road will exit, but no mention of how that junction will be controlled. Heavy vehicles trying to turn off/on to the relief road will have a tight enough turn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Been open for some time now to traffic. Months at least. The interesection at the top is really bad - traffic on the road can go sailing upwards while cross traffic barrels down main street without a stop. They desperately need something at the top before there are T-bone style accidents.

Still, it's a huge help commuting, you can bypass the Dingle waterfront entirely when traveling west on the N86 towards Slea Head or vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

I was on hols out west of Dingle in late June and the road was already open then. At that time anyway, there were no signs when approaching the town from the west letting you know that you could bypass the town centre completely. I’m guessing the local businesses wanted it that way!

Advertisement