Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twin core and earth or 6193y cable?

Options
  • 31-03-2018 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm confused about the recent change to cable regs which requires a shielded earth: http://kellihers.com/news/new-twin-earth-wiring-rules/
    I could only find one online retailer that sells it to consumers (€100 for 100m!) and I wonder why twin core & earth is still available everywhere. Perhaps I'm just using the wrong search term or maybe you're still actually allowed to use twin core & earth? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Twin-Earth-poster-Feb-2017.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

goibhniu wrote:
    I'm confused about the recent change to cable regs which requires a shielded earth:

We are in transition alright, earth must be sleeved not shielded.

It also needs to be the same size as the phase.

Is there a real problem with the old spec or is this just conforming to European standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FranklinMint

Is there a real problem with the old spec or is this just conforming to European standards?

There was talk about getting rid of the old style T&E going back years

In fairness ,it wasn't the greatest cable especially if there was no rcd protecting the circuit and damage had occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 goibhniu

Any recommendations for where to buy the new type of cable? I don't understand why the old type is still available everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

goibhniu wrote: »
    Any recommendations for where to buy the new type of cable? I don't understand why the old type is still available everywhere.

It shouldn't be. Its use is prohibited. I've seen it on sale in Woodies though.

They normally allow this until existing stock is exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

They normally allow this until existing stock is exhausted.
    It's use has been prohibited since September. Existing stock may NOT be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FranklinMint

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's use has been prohibited since September. Existing stock may NOT be used.

But is there anything to stop them selling it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

But is there anything to stop them selling it?

No.

• Advertisement
Advertisement