Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would there be any point in buying a Fire Stick in Ireland?

Options
  • 31-03-2018 7:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

A little over a year and a half ago I bought a Roku thinking there would be loads of great content available. However all I ever watch is Netflix and occasionally YouTube. I could have watched Netflix on the television anyway without the Roku so buying it was a bit of a waste to be honest.

I was wondering is there any point in getting an Amazon Fire Stick. Last year I had a free Amazon Video trial and they had something like four programmes available. And the last time I tried Hulu (on my computer) they had exactly one programme available (Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee).

Has Amazon Video or Hulu improved since then? Or are there any other channels available on the Fire Stick that aren't available on the Roku?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I don’t think so. You’d be better off just casting from another device or using something like that nVidia shield (though it is pricey). If it’s just Netflix though many TVs have the app now as so consoles but for the limited and pricey content of the amazon store I’d rather not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Would an android box better suit your needs, not much of a fan of them myself, but they are very popular?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OP the only version of the Fire Stick Amazon will ship to Ireland is the Fire Stick Basic, which is $50 on Amazon.com (Don’t get me started on Amazon’s confusing strategy towards Ireland. They are actively promoting shipping to Ireland on the .co.uk store....and then send us to .com for things like this. Weird).

Poster above is right; if your TV is “smart” just use those features, else buy a Chromecast, it’s cheaper. Also if all you watch is Netflix and YouTube, do you have a pay TV subscription? Virgin Media Horizon boxes have both built in, Sky Q has YouTube and will be getting Netflix later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

I have one and find it great. Very cheap (often on sale at 25-30£). Can load Kodi to it to expand available content. Great to have a remote and not rely on castng from phone too. Also handy as a device in another room without TV connection for streaming channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't have a smartphone or any other kind of Android device. I don't have a smart TV either.

I have the Roku Steaming Stick which I put in the HDMI port of the television.

I don't know that much about the Fire Stick. I could be completely wrong about what it does. I thought it might be something like the Roku with a channel store you could search through with the remote control and add channels.

I'm losing interest in the limited content Netflix has and there's pretty much no other Roku channels available that appeal to me. What I'm really looking for is something as similar as possible as the Roku but with a better availability of channels. Even if there was one channel with decent content available on the Fire Stick that isn't available on the Roku I'd consider buying a Fire Stick.

I had a free Amazon Video trial last year but there was something like four programmes available in Ireland so I cancelled it before the trial was even finished. If the content has improved since then I'd buy a subscription.

• Advertisement
Advertisement