Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probation

Options
  • 30-03-2018 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, this is not happening to me but a friend.

They have done their 6 month probation in work and had the maternity cover manager sign off on it ending and the operations manager also did.
    Fast forward 2 months later and they want to put her back on probation. No prior discussions about performance, no verbal warnings, no written warnings. Nothing.
    As far as she was aware, her performance was stellar.
    The issue is, she started and done her probation while the manager was off on maternity leave and now the manager is back.

Can this be done? Seems wrong to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Hi, this is not happening to me but a friend.

They have done their 6 month probation in work and had the maternity cover manager sign off on it ending and the operations manager also did.
    Fast forward 2 months later and they want to put her back on probation. No prior discussions about performance, no verbal warnings, no written warnings. Nothing.
    As far as she was aware, her performance was stellar.
    The issue is, she started and done her probation while the manager was off on maternity leave and now the manager is back.

Can this be done? Seems wrong to me.

Unfair dismissal doesn’t come into affect until you are employed for 12 months so technically everyone under that is still on probation. I do think that discussion with the line manager is the best way forward, if they don’t think their work has fallen in standard, ask how they can improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Love2love wrote: »
    Unfair dismissal doesn’t come into affect until you are employed for 12 months so technically everyone under that is still on probation. I do think that discussion with the line manager is the best way forward, if they don’t think their work has fallen in standard, ask how they can improve.

What if their performance is very good but the line manager just doesn't like them?
    Why isn't the whole first year probation?
    Why have a written contract with a 6 month probation period and after the 6 months you sit down with your manager and formally end this period only for a new manager to come in and decide to put you back on probation despite nothing being wrong with your performance.
    There has been no mention of sub pat performance, in fact she has been praised repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Has your friend got an official letter stating her probation was over?
    Has your friend seen the office rule book?

One can not be placed back on probation after their probation is signed off and they have been given permanent status. What the place can do is raise performance issues and go to do a personal improvement plan, but for that to happen they must have been made aware of the issues and subsequent non improvement.

Your friend should seek advice from citizens advice.

Also, she should not accept any change in her status from permanent to probation and have all discussion documented and dated.

This is quite bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Has your friend got an official letter stating her probation was over?
    Has your friend seen the office rule book?

One can not be placed back on probation after their probation is signed off and they have been given permanent status. What the place can do is raise performance issues and go to do a personal improvement plan, but for that to happen they must have been made aware of the issues and subsequent non improvement.

Your friend should seek advice from citizens advice.

Also, she should not accept any change in her status from permanent to probation and have all discussion documented and dated.

This is quite bizarre.

She has a form/letter thing signed by her and former manager.
    She is talking to new manager and ops manager this morning.
    I think she made a huge mistake, as she signed the new form agreeing to extend her probation.

Advertisement