Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days off (Business closed Easter Sunday)

Options
  • 30-03-2018 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.

Work full time in retail. Get two days off per week. This Sunday the entire center is closed so all shops are shut.

Work is telling me that Sunday counts as one of my days off.

I'm pretty sure that previously my two days would come from days where the store is open and trading. So essentially this week I'd have Sunday off and two other days.

I'm not sure though. Any feedback welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Just a quick question.

Work full time in retail. Get two days off per week. This Sunday the entire center is closed so all shops are shut.

I'm pretty sure that previously my two days would come from days where the store is open and trading. So essentially this week I'd have Sunday off and two other days.

The days on which annual leave is taken as at the discretion of your employer, they can require you to take holidays at certain times e.g. Easter/between Xmas and new year. But they must give you one month's notice. If they don't open on Easter Sunday and you knew in advance, then yes, they can require you to take it as anuual leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

davo10 wrote: »
    The days on which annual leave is taken as at the discretion of your employer, they can require you to take holidays at certain times e.g. Easter/between Xmas and new year. But they must give you one month's notice. If they don't open on Easter Sunday and you knew in advance, then yes, they can require you to take it as anuual leave.

I only found out a week before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Well then your entitled to argue the point but

If it was common knowledge the centre wasn't open or has never opened Easter Sunday then I wouldn't expect much. Do you usually work Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MissGriff

As far as I know, if Easter Sunday was a bank holiday or public holiday and they chose to close you would still be entitled to payment plus your normal days off.
    As its not ,In your case it just means having one of your days off be a Sunday instead.
    Have you spoken to any of your colleagues or other people in this centre. Maybe ask them and see if anyone has more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Sunday is not a bank holiday - there is no entitlement here. Are you required to work Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Do you normally work Sundays? Are you contracted to work 5 days a week or specific days?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If the entire centre is closed as you posted, then it's unlikely they decided to close this week, as another poster has said, it is common knowledge that centre is closed on Easter Sunday.

Check your employment contract, this may contain notice that centre is closed on certain days of the year and you may be required to take holidays. A lot of businesses close on good Friday and between Xmas and new year, employees are required to take these days as annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Nowhere does the OP mention Annual Leave, this is not an annual leave issue. The OP is not being asked to take Annual Leave on Easter Sunday.

The fact that the centre is closed that particular Sunday is just coincidental. If your job is rostering you a day off on that particular day, then they are fulfilling their part of your employment contract - which states that you get two days off per week.
    Albeit, they are taking advantage of the centres closure, but they have no obligation to give you another day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Just a quick question.

Your absolutely mistaken.
    This week ( March 26-April 1) one of your days off is Sunday April 1.
    That is all.
    Easter Sunday is not a public holiday.
    Monday April 2 is Easter Monday a public holiday, public holiday rules apply on Monday.

Advertisement