Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dietician

Options
  • 30-03-2018 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm plus size, honestly the heaviest I've ever been, and really don't want to put on much weight if I can avoid it and I'm already on the list for a GD test because I'm at risk.

I'd really like to see a dietician now (rather than at 28 weeks) who would tailor a healthy eating plan to my tastes. When I read all the options online it makes my head spin and there's always things I don't like or don't know how to replace.

If anyone has any recommendations could you PM me? I don't know if I should be contacting the hospital (I'm public) or my GP or do I just try and find someone who will take me in pregnancy? I do have day to day cover on my healthcare plan so will get some of the cost back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

I don't have a recommendation for a dietician but in the Rotunda they gave me a book with a diet plan in it. Basic enough, though. Could you ask your hospital if they've something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

lunamoon wrote: »
    I don't have a recommendation for a dietician but in the Rotunda they gave me a book with a diet plan in it. Basic enough, though. Could you ask your hospital if they've something similar?

Sounds like a plan for sure anyways, my next appointment is in May. I'm considering asking about the dietician in the Evie in the meantime since they were fabulous for the early scan

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

I would suggest looking up the gestational diabetes diet and starting on that now. I was advised to do that at my booking in appointment to reduce my risk, unfortunately I still developed it later but it's a solid healthy diet and definitely limits weight gain as a side effect, plus it's designed for pregnant women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I would suggest looking up the gestational diabetes diet and starting on that now. I was advised to do that at my booking in appointment to reduce my risk, unfortunately I still developed it later but it's a solid healthy diet and definitely limits weight gain as a side effect, plus it's designed for pregnant women.

I've been having a browse but there does seem to be a million different versions. The basics seems 3 meals, 3 snacks and evenly spaced so I think maybe I'll try a simple layout and book someone to tell me more

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Yeah it's basically low-GI foods and portion control, low sugar. It's a bit of a pain but not too difficult ultimately. Maybe start after Easter though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Hey,
    So indi.ie is a good place to start for info.
    They have some fact sheets on healthy eating during pregnancy, and specifically for GD here https://www.indi.ie/diseases,-allergies-and-medical-conditions/diabetes/538-healthy-eating-with-gestational-diabetes.html

They also have a list of private dietitians that you could attend on their website. If you have health insurance you can get 50% back on your consultation fee. Alternatively your GP may be able to recommend a registered dietitian. All dietitians have to be registered at coru.ie, so you can check there as well if the person you're thinking of attending is legit.

Advertisement