Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC vs Maynooth

Options
  • 30-03-2018 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone
    I'm a business lawyer from California, US. I've been accepted to both University College Cork (LLM Business Law) and Maynooth University (LLM International Business Law). Unfortunately, because of my grades, I've been rejected by UCD and TCD, but I'm happy about the offers I have received. 

Now about Maynooth, it seems like a fantastic place to study. I've spoken with the Head of Department of Law and the Programme Director along with other staff and found them to be extremely helpful and cooperative. Maynooth is a great student city full of Erasmus students and a great multi-cultural setting. However, I believe the Departnemtnof Law at Maynooth is still somewhat new and young. 

Compared to the about, UCC's law department seems to be older and more mature. So far I haven't spoken to them yet so don't know much about the university. Cork is also a great city but far away from Dublin where the Law Society is along with the corporate law firms. 

1) Which one is a better university in terms of faculty, reputation, quality of professors and campus? 
    2) Which one is more internationally recognised? 
    3) I do have interest in practising law and qualifying as a Solicitor in Ireland. But first I want to finish my LLM then PhD. After that, I might want to practice law and finish the FE-1s and PPCs. Which one of these universities is it easier to pursue a PhD in? I understand that it is not easy to get a supervisor for your PhD so I would ideally want a faculty that is diverse and big enough to accommodate business law students for PhD.

From an Irish perspective, which one is a better university? 

I would be really grateful if some of you can help me out. 

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement