Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a newbie

Options
  • 29-03-2018 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys,
    I've always been Xbox console gamer but I'm looking to upgrade. Basically I love Skyrim and I want to play Skyrim SE with tones of mods. (Xbox one tells you how much space you can use which can't be upped and bethesda.net doesn't have a brilliant selection of mods) due to space I can't do a PC build. Im looking into laptops and have about 1200 to play around with.
    Since I am a newbie all of this is greek to me. A mate told me Nvidia, SSD drive etc. Which is more important? The processor? The drive? The memory? The graphics card? Which works for you guys?
    I will probably be using it for Skyrim primarily.
    If I sound like an idiot that's because I am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnnyboy24

I have one laptop idea
    Extreme N850 core i7 with nvidia GeForce GTX1050Ti 4
    GB video ram
    4GB HYPER-X DDR4 2400Mhz
    128GB M.2 solid state drive
    1TB SATA II 2.5" hard disc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

Which is more important? The processor? The drive? The memory? The graphics card?
    For gaming, a balanced system. 1200E probably will buy you one like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-15-6-inch-Gaming-Laptop-GL503VM-FY022T/dp/B0765CC23J/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1522342930&sr=8-11&keywords=gaming%2Blaptop%2B1060&th=1
    which imho is a good one, except for maybe the RAM, I'll be looking for 16 instead of 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnnyboy24

What if I got a CPU and used my tv as a screen through HDMI? Would I be able to use my Xbox controller for games?(What I'm use to)
    Advice on CPU?

You can use the xbox controller for most (if not all) games.
    I don't get the CPU question. You mean a desktop PC? Then yes, you can use the TV.
    Something like this:https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-1060-KALLIS-GAMING-Pre-Installed/dp/B071Z9LW7V/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522352243&sr=8-2&keywords=gaming+desktop+1060+7700? Although it doesn't specify the motherboard model and PSU brand, both important.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

save money and build a system capable of a very solid 1080p experience with good fps... dont get sucked into 1440 or 4k unless you have a lot of money to spend lol

• Advertisement

4K VR ready from that 1060 6G GPU system description is no less that marketing **** :) That combo, 7700 and 1060 6GB is a good system for 1080p, but no for more.
    Building from scratch these days is tricky, GPU prices are overinflated because of mining.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

OP, I have very limited space but managed to find a compact desk and chair set in Argos that allowed me to build a PC. Havent had a chance to play any games to judge performance but for well under your budget I built a PC with the following;
    1050ti GPU
    Ryzen 5 1500x
    8GB RAM (for your budget could push to 16gb)
    1TB HDD
    240GB SSD

I also needed a monitor, keyboard and mouse and got all well under your budget.

if you want to be able to fold the thing up and put it away and travel with it get a laptop.
    now with desktop class performance in laptops that has happened in the last couple of years only really, the flexibility factor of the laptop is a win for a lot of people.
    otherwise if space and travel is not an issue get or build a desktop.
    although even with a laptop a 24 inch monitor is a fairly cheap investment to make the experience better at home (space permitting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For that money you would get a pre-built desktop with a six core i5-8400 + GTX1070 core.

Laptop isn't the way to go unless you actually need the portability aspect.

The GTX1050Ti is a lower end GPU, with your budget the minimum should be a GTX1060 6GB which is more than twice as fast really.

Skyrim may be old but modded to the hilt it's still incredibly demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NialltheITGuy

Best Advice can be found from YouTube channel Linus Tech Tips, They do everything from Budget Builds(involving CraigList) to Bespoke Gaming Computers.

You will learn ALOT from these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hey guys,
    I've always been Xbox console gamer but I'm looking to upgrade. Basically I love Skyrim and I want to play Skyrim SE with tones of mods. (Xbox one tells you how much space you can use which can't be upped and bethesda.net doesn't have a brilliant selection of mods) due to space I can't do a PC build. Im looking into laptops and have about 1200 to play around with.
    Since I am a newbie all of this is greek to me. A mate told me Nvidia, SSD drive etc. Which is more important? The processor? The drive? The memory? The graphics card? Which works for you guys?
    I will probably be using it for Skyrim primarily.
    If I sound like an idiot that's because I am.

Graphics card > CPU > RAM amount > everything else.

For pure gaming, it's always recommended to buy/build a PC over a laptop.
    Gaming laptops will only last 1-2 years (performance-wise) unless you're willing to pay 1500+ for one.

Have a look at Logical Increments for build guides & info on PCs.
    We also have a dedicated PC building area.

Advertisement