Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best "all rounder" bikes

Options
  • 29-03-2018 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Budget around 4-5k. Coming from a 2003 CBR600F, id like something a bit more practical, comfier on longer trips with better fuel consumption. More accommodating to luggage.

Any suggestions for something that would be

Good for short commute through the city.
    Good for going for spins on country roads.
    Comfy for two people to be on for a couple hours.
    Could bring it to a track day.
    Doesn't sound like a hair dryer.
    Is somewhat exciting.

Bikes that appeal to me are,
    KTM Duke 690/900, these seems super cool, badass. Perhaps not very practical.
    BMW f800gs probably a bit expensive
    Honda VFR800, seems like this would be ideal but i would prefer to try something other than Honda.
    Triumph tiger 800, seems ideal but too expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

FZ1 - Ive a 2006 one. Throttle issues ironed out in the newer models. Great all rounder. Gen 2 doesnt have as big a tank as the original but still a great bike.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/fazer-1000-fz1-s/18233096

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2007-yamaha-fz1-fazer-1000/18102901

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm going to keep suggesting the Tuono until someone buys one or tells me they're terrible.

Or else I'll have to get one myself.

Oh, fuel consumption.

Still, two up fits!

attachment.php?attachmentid=314468&d=1470596698&thumb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Tiger gets my vote, some on Donedeal from 6k, with panniers

I do 70km daily round trip commute, very comfortable bike.
    It's slightly on the big side for city commute, but still fine.
    Nice on back grounds, decent suspension to handle bumpy roads.

Can't speak to track day, or 'exciting' factor too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

All round, based on my own experience I'd suggest a Vstrom. Either the 650 or 1000, 650 for fuel exconomy.

They're exceptionally comfortable, the 1000 moreso if you're carrying a pillion regularly.

Brilliant fuel economy on the 650, best I got was 420km on a tank (about €22) and they'll easily take hard or soft luggage.

Its one of the few bikes I regret selling.

Of the bikes you listed I wouldn't consider the KTM, although lovely and exciting bikes they're hardly a good arounder (waiting for KTM owners to tell me how wrong I am).

My son as a BMW F850GS (I've the 1200GS). If you can afford the 800GS I'd jump at it, but if you're a short rider they're quite a tall bike. The screen is small, if you're a tall rider there's a bit of buffeting from it. Fantastic bike.

I've never owned the Tiger, but we looked at a few and although they receive great reviewed we just found them boring looking. But I've never ridden one so I can't comment much further than that.

Can't fault the VFR, but for some reason the older VFR750 is much favored over the 800 by dedicated Viffer riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm going to keep suggesting the Tuono until someone buys one or tells me they're terrible.

Oh, fuel consumption.

Still, two up fits!

I have a Gen 2 Tuono factory R lumen.
    Great bike but I wouldn't call it practical.
    If I really take it easy I can get about 32mpg but on a more spirited ride I get around 23mpg.
    Not a bike I'd want to carry a passenger on either as this bike imo is all about fun.
    Cracker of a bike though.

I'll suggest a Tiger 1050 op.
    I sold my one last summer.
    Stunning condition with 14'000 miles and some extras for €5'000.
    fd85g2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Thanks for the replies, good info.

The Fz1 looks great, not something I was very aware of.
    The vstrom is a good suggestion, I was looking at them yesterday online, id like to have a go on one, i would just be concerned about the 650 feeling like a big step down in power. Maybe the 1000 would be a good way to go.
    I would worry about an Aprillia falling apart with its plastic engine :D
    The tiget 1050 might also be good, i guess this would be in the same bracket as the vstrom 1000.
    I would be under the impression with BMW that you are better off not getting a cheap one, which 5k would maybe be on the cusp of? I really like BMW cars and if i could spend 15k on a bike they would be at the top of the list.

Any other suggestions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Vstrom DL650 / DL1000

Great riding position, Great Fuel Economy, Actually goes.

And its near on bullet proof. Will take anything thrown at it.

Very hard to go wrong with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My thoughts:
    rowanh wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, good info.

The Fz1 looks great, not something I was very aware of. Honda's CBF1000 is another similarly under-rated bike. Mild Fireblade engine but with comfort.
    The vstrom is a good suggestion, I was looking at them yesterday online, id like to have a go on one, i would just be concerned about the 650 feeling like a big step down in power. Maybe the 1000 would be a good way to go. the torque of a twin, even with less power makes that a small issue imho. The 1000 would tick the boxes, but bigger running costs to go with it
    I would worry about an Aprillia falling apart with its plastic engine :DAgreed. DAMHIK :rolleyes:
    The tiget 1050 might also be good, i guess this would be in the same bracket as the vstrom 1000. Good bikes, undervalued imho
    I would be under the impression with BMW that you are better off not getting a cheap one, which 5k would maybe be on the cusp of? lovely to ride, but at that price level you're looking at older ones if you're stuck on GS's etc. And not cheap workshop wise. Much older K's (brick models) would be unburstable and cheap as chips, and are over-engineered. You'd get a brilliant one for 2k. The same cannot be said of he current or recent crop. I really like BMW cars and if i could spend 15k on a bike they would be at the top of the list.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭blade1

rowanh wrote: »
    I would worry about an Aprillia falling apart with its plastic engine :D

Hey!!!
    The Rotax engine used by Aprilia is a cracker of an engine and has a lot more soul than than a lot of other bikes.
    I have 2 and wouldn't change them for the world (unless for another Aprilia).
    Electrics can go a bit wonky alright but build quality, I find,is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

blade1 wrote: »
    Hey!!!
    The Rotax engine used by Aprilia is a cracker of an engine and has a lot more soul than than a lot of other bikes.
    I have 2 and wouldn't change them for the world (unless for another Aprilia).
    Electrics can go a bit wonky alright but build quality, I find,is top notch.

Italian Honda's is a common description of the Aprilia's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

A little out of your price range but if you could stretch then you could get a Multistrada: https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/ducati-multistrada-1200/18163437

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Zascar wrote: »
    A little out of your price range but if you could stretch then you could get a Multistrada: https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/ducati-multistrada-1200/18163437

As is not available

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yamaha FZ8 might suit?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Lots of CBF1000s floating about..
    FZ1 or older FZS1000
    Vstrom 100
    BMW K1200S?
    GSXF1250 or 650

Zipppy wrote: »
    BMW K1200S?
    I really like these and was thinking about getting one. They'd tick almost all op's boxes but not great for through town as they are pretty heavy I believe. Many people recommended the CBR1100 Blackbird instead. Always loads around for reasonable money too.

Zascar wrote:
    I really like these and was thinking about getting one. They'd tick almost all op's boxes but not great for through town as they are pretty heavy I believe. Many people recommended the

Zascar wrote:
    I really like these and was thinking about getting one. They'd tick almost all op's boxes but not great for through town as they are pretty heavy I believe. Many people recommended the

Zascar wrote:
    instead. Always loads around for reasonable money too.

Had a bbird..found it very heavy..especially in tight traffic in town..k1200S is similar ish weight but is easier to manoeuver i gather?

If it was a choice between a BB or the K1200S I think I'd be jumping at the BMW, not because I'm suddenly loyal to the brand but the K1200S has bags of character which the BB lacks and most will 'tend to have owners who've kept up their BMW service history.

They're a cracking bike too. I turned my nose up at a nice one which was going for the right money just a few months back and have regretted it since.

If it was a choice between a BB or the K1200R I think I'd be jumping at the BMW, not because I'm suddenly loyal to the brand but the K1200R has bags of character which the BB lacks and most will 'tend to have owners who've kept up their BMW service history.

The R or the S?

Zipppy wrote: »
    The R or the S?

Woops S

I'll edit that.

• Advertisement

I'll edit that.

Woops S

ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

Lumen wrote: »

Oh, fuel consumption.

Still, two up fits!

top class machine, I love mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

BMW S1000xr......cracker of a bike.

They're a cracking bike too. I turned my nose up at a nice one which was going for the right money just a few months back and have regretted it since.
    How much and what year & miles etc?

BMW S1000xr......cracker of a bike.

not on a budget of 5k.... :).

Zascar wrote: »
    How much and what year & miles etc?

Can't remember all the details tbh, it was in Bikeworld and I was getting a very good trade in deal off my Vstrom.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Yamaha Xj6s.... good all rounder. Cheap to run, insure and great value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've more or less decided my next bike will be an XT660X - I reckon that if I invest in some alternative hardware, I could have a bike I can (with some spannering) can be trimmed for short commute, track days or touring (ie if I take it away in the summer and convert it back on my return).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 davehere

I have an NC700 for the last year and it would be a good fit for what you want.

The original screen is a little small, but everything else is good.

You can also get a newer version, NC750 motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/nc700s/2012/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

davehere wrote: »
    I have an NC700 for the last year and it would be a good fit for what our want.

The original screen is a little small, but everything else is good.

You can also get a newer version, NC750 motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/nc700s/2012/

Also got one of these NC700s, and completely agree..these are a great bike... ðŸ‘

Advertisement