Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window and window frame sound insulation options

Options
  • 28-03-2018 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all, I hope I've put this in the proper section and that someone might have some tips or advice for me.

We've just replaced old single glazed wooden frame windows with triple glazed units in upvc frames.

The noise reduction is significant but during morning rush hour it can still be pretty annoying. Cars need to accelerate away from a junction which just happens to be across from the main bedroom.

Now I know the best thing would have been to do more research into the subject before getting the windows replaced but I got a few different companies out to quote and they all said the sound reduction would be huge.

The majority of the sound seems to be transmitted through the frames, in an area that has a metal pole used for support. I'll try and explain as best as I can.

The windows are quite large. There are 2 windows in the room that are each about 1 metre wide by about 2.5 metres high. They are angled into the room, kind of like a v shape. The sitting room below is the exact same and the original windows had a wooden support running from the upstairs window to the downstairs window where the windows met in the middle if the "v".

When replacing them the company replicated this but used a circular metal pole. The poles overall length is about 5.5 metres with a 3 inch diameter. This pole is covered by just a thin semi rigid plastic. Each window units frame connects to either side of this pole. Alot of the outside noise seems to be transmitting inside through this pole.

Does any one have any suggestions on how I could remedy this.

The only things I could think of were either as the company to make a cover for the inside and outside of the metal pole, something more like the pvc frames that hold the glass. Would this make any difference?

The 2nd was to see if they could fill the interior of the pole with foam or something similar to help absorb some of the sound.

I know I won't achieve complete silence and the new windows are much better than the old ones but even another few db would be great.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Advertisement