Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning gay conversion therapy in Ireland

Options
  • 28-03-2018 9:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Sinn Fein senator Fintan Warfield is trying to bring forward legislation that will formally ban the practice of gay conversion therapy in Ireland.

I hope this gets the support it needs, this doesn't feature in the media here but there have been a growing number of stories from America that show the practice can cause huge stress and mental harm to people who undergo this process. It is unproven and widely regarded as psudoscience

http://www.newstalk.com/New-bill-aims-to-outlaw-gay-conversion-therapy-in-Ireland

The topic is being discussed tonight on TV3 at 10pm. Senator Warfield and a pro therapy advocate Dr Mike Davidson will discuss their viewpoints

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What the....

Seriously nasty crap from TV3 to have someone promoting it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Sinn Fein senator Fintan Warfield is trying to bring forward legislation that will formally ban the practice of gay conversion therapy in Ireland.

I hope this gets the support it needs, this doesn't feature in the media here but there have been a growing number of stories from America that show the practice can cause huge stress and mental harm to people who undergo this process. It is unproven and widely regarded as psudoscience

http://www.newstalk.com/New-bill-aims-to-outlaw-gay-conversion-therapy-in-Ireland

The topic is being discussed tonight on TV3 at 10pm. Senator Warfield and a pro therapy advocate Dr Mike Davidson will discuss their viewpoints

Davidson is a fundamental 'Christian' with no qualifications in anything other than education. He has no qualifications or expertise in psychology, psychiatry or any field of mental health. He's a charlatan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Davidson is a fundamental 'Christian' with no qualifications in anything other than education. He has no qualifications or expertise in psychology, psychiatry or any field of mental health. He's a charlatan.

Pretty much this^

Shameful broadcasters give people like him airtime; it's not even a debate in this day and age; the practice is tantamount to abuse. And what people like him say in public pretty much equates to hate speech - but stations invite him on 'cause controversial stuff like this gets ratings

I didn't watch it myself, but if anyone did and heard anything actionable - might I suggest http://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/ i

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Pretty much this^

Shameful broadcasters give people like him airtime; it's not even a debate in this day and age; the practice is tantamount to abuse. And what people like him say in public pretty much equates to hate speech - but stations invite him on 'cause controversial stuff like this gets ratings

I didn't watch it myself, but if anyone did and heard anything actionable - might I suggest http://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/ i

It is abuse. There is no empirical evidence whatsoever that conversion therapy works. However, there is a lot of research that demonstrates psychological harm results from conversion 'therapy'.

Okay, so sat down for 15 minutes and caught it on the TV3 player..

It was a bit vomit inducing having to listen to the antiscience rhetoric of a self-loathing homosexual, halfwit moron as he rambled on, even if most of his argument was counteracted pretty well by the other panelists - in a very academic and polite way, sadly. At one point he claimed there needs to be more scientific research done in the matter of what causes homosexuality, and a minute later he refused to listen and accept the results of a recent study. Honestly, the level of cognitive dissonance these people are capable of astounds me.

I thought Kenny and the other two panelist were far too indulging of this troglodyte, even most the people the camera panned to in the audience looked utterly bemused by the dribbling clown.

I mean, there's a lot to be said for public decorum - but seriously, I would have paid PPV prices if someone had slapped the idiot around the head a few times

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

People like that do themselves no favours, honestly how many people would be motivated by his message compared to how many saw him for the fool he was, if audience reaction is anything to go by he did his 'brand' far more harm than good.

Honestly I can't see a logical reason for this legislation to fail, especially with all of the international evidence debunking the therapy, but it will come down to political will at the end of the day.

People like that do themselves no favours, honestly how many people would be motivated by his message compared to how many saw him for the fool he was, if audience reaction is anything to go by he did his 'brand' far more harm than good.

Honestly I can't see a logical reason for this legislation to fail, especially with all of the international evidence debunking the therapy, but it will come down to political will at the end of the day.

I guess I'm just a little more apprehensive about giving unhinged bigots podiums for their hate speech... Sadly, I know many people who are very much of this guy's opinion and giving him any airtime somehow spurs them on. As I said the time for debate on this issue is long since passed - so putting it front and centre on a national station gives the argument an air of legitimacy it should never have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have to say I'm delighted to hear about this bill. For anyone to engage in activates which promote the idea that being gay can be changed is tantamount to a hate crime in my opinion and needs to be dealt with in a swift no acceptance fashion and firmly backed up by law.

Advertisement