Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about moving to Ennis

Options
  • 28-03-2018 7:10pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Myself and my wife have become fond of Ennis after living in Limerick city for many years. We are thinking of buying a house out there but we have no idea of what areas are good and which are perhaps best to avoid. We have a 10-week old so we are looking at a nice place to raise kids.

If anyone feela like PMing me instead of posting in public, I’d be very happy to get your opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

To be fair I don’t think their are many so called “bad” areas of ennis.
    The main area you may avoid is possibly the cloughleigh area.

The Tulla Road area is very popular at the moment. Plenty of new developments so a lot of new families have moved into the area.

Any of the estates around Flannans college are very nice. Easy walk to town and you have both the secondary and primary schools nearby.

Ballybeg area is also really nice as well as the kildysart road out near Clarecastle.

Also; we have a Man Utd supporters group based in Nora Culligans bar. New members welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Deagol

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Myself and my wife have become fond of Ennis after living in Limerick city for many years. We are thinking of buying a house out there but we have no idea of what areas are good and which are perhaps best to avoid. We have a 10-week old so we are looking at a nice place to raise kids.

If anyone feela like PMing me instead of posting in public, I’d be very happy to get your opinion.

As mentioned, avoid some obvious parts that have badly maintained gardens etc and you won't go too far wrong.

Perhaps if you post a house or two you are looking at we could be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

There is also an estate out the Lahinch road where anti social behavior is rife. This estate is mainly private owned homes but as normal it takes a bad egg to ruin it for others. The Tulla road as mentioned is good but again there is an estate there favored by foreign nationals and the estate is fairly ruined by neglect. Drive around especially in the evenings and see who is hanging around but tread carefully and wisely....Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Depends on your situation really. If you are working outside of Ennis then the closer to the motorway the better. For a young couple starting out then you`d be better off buying one of those new homes built by Fitzgibbon builders in Clarecastle. Good value houses, modern warm with space. Builder has a good reputation.
    Other than that you are looking at the older estates closer to the town center but you'll find that they may have a reasonable asking price but when you go to buy them they are bid much higher than the ask. So don't expect much of a price difference with limerick city on those.
    Overall Ennis is a nice town, still has the town center thriving with no out of town retail parks. Good selection of Schools etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If not committed to living 'in town' you could look at the other side of the motorway ..... Doora direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭dingdangdoo22

Anyone know what the Bruach Na hAbhainn and the Dun na Ri areas are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Personally I'd avoid anything too close to the river. They've built a lot of houses in the floodplain, one of the bigger estates on the tulla Road is sinking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Friends of mine live in Bruach Na hAbhainn and the love it, never had a problem with flooding or anything river related, I'd imagine if that was to flood the town would be in serious trouble. Don't know about Dun na Ri

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Personally I'd avoid anything too close to the river. They've built a lot of houses in the floodplain, one of the bigger estates on the tulla Road is sinking.

Do you have any more info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It's the estate behind fitzpatricks shop on the tulla road I've heard is sinking. I seem to remember them driving piles for months when I was a kid, who knows, memory is unreliable, but it was incredibly swampy there originally.

That's the main one really there haven't been a whole lot of issues elsewhere thus far so maybe I'm being a bit speculative.

Edit : talking with a friend at the pub now confirming cappahard is sinking houses have steel braces on the outside. Says bruach na habhainn foundations have been iffy since day one they had to replaster the walls outside cos they cracked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

It's the estate behind fitzpatricks shop on the tulla road I've heard is sinking. I seem to remember them driving piles for months when I was a kid, who knows, memory is unreliable, but it was incredibly swampy there originally.

That's the main one really there haven't been a whole lot of issues elsewhere thus far so maybe I'm being a bit speculative.

Edit : talking with a friend at the pub now confirming cappahard is sinking houses have steel braces on the outside. Says bruach na habhainn foundations have been iffy since day one they had to replaster the walls outside cos they cracked.

As a resident of Cappahard I can confirm that SOME of the houses on one side of the estate have experienced slippage
    Not all of them and certainly not my house
    Plus I don’t know of a single house with Steel braces 🙄

Advertisement