Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee after birth

Options
  • 28-03-2018 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Yo,
    Asking for a friend. She's been off the coffee since she found out that she's pregnant, but doesn't know if she can drink it whilst breast feeding the child once the baby is born?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

She can, in moderation. Some younger babies might be sensitive to caffeine though. The below is a good like about it (and a really good website for breastfeeding advice in general).

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/caffeine/

Alcohol is ok in moderation as well and no need to pump and dump. Not a lot of people know that (I didn’t until a couple of months ago anyway).

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Same with tea, coke, etc. I only have one cup of tea in the morning because I notice if I have any in the evening my baby takes longer to go over to sleep, so she must be getting the caffeine through my milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dekey

There's no reason to automatically assume that it has to be eliminated. If baby shows any adverse reactions that are definitely attributed to caffeine (as opposed to the dairy content of a milky coffee which is a separate reason for a reaction) then it can be reduced or removed from her diet, or she can try and time her coffee around feeds so that it minimises the amount of caffeine in her system at feeding times.

In fairness, I spent the majority of my maternity leave breastfeeding in coffee shops, I wouldn't have lasted 3 years breastfeeding (or parenting for that matter) without the help of my good friend coffee!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've never had any caffeine related issues when breastfeeding. I love my coffee, reducing my consumption while pregnant was a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

As with anything, moderation and watching your baby for adverse reactions. As others in the thread have said they might find that the baby is a bit too alert at bed-time if they drink coffee in the evening. My poor mum had to give up chocolate for a full year while she breastfed me as she said I came out in a rash the couple of times she tried to have some.
    I have friends who are doctors and have said as the baby showed no reaction to coffee they drank several cups a day to keep themselves going, especially as the baby boy fed constantly and she said she couldn't stay awake otherwise. You do what you can for yourself and your baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

O I couldn’t be without cofffee. Feeding at 15 months and I have a few cups a day.

Advertisement