Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company in charge of liquidation not providing P45

Options
  • 28-03-2018 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Posting on behalf of partner. The company they worked for went into liquidation around July last year. The people in charge of looking after this have yet to provide P45's to a lot of employees, my partner included. Phonecalls say it is coming yada yada but it never does. My partner needs the P45 to get back emergency tax for a few months. Does anyone have any advise on how they can push them to provide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

P45 would only be relevant to tax this year. He can call the revenue and link himself with his new employer if he has one and request a P21c balancing statement for 2017 or do it online if he has a PAYE account

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Love2love wrote: »
    P45 would only be relevant to tax this year. He can call the revenue and link himself with his new employer if he has one and request a P21c balancing statement for 2017 or do it online if he has a PAYE account

She is already with new employer. Company went into liquidation but contract and employees went straight over to a new company that she has been working for since Aug/Sept last year. She went to tax office yesterday and they told her she needs the P45 from company in charge of liquidation to get the emergency tax back and mentioned nothing about P21c or online paye do it yourself. Is that really the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

if its related to 2017 then a P60 would be required. Once thats issued you can request a P21 balance statement.

P45 is only for when you move jobs intra year. It gives the tax details to the new employer. You can always provide this to the tax office yourself (need company tax number) and revenue will update your file /give credits to new company. New company would (normally) take a download monthly/quarterly from Revenue and apply the correct credits/recalc your tax amount paid YTD.

something sounds off on this.

daheff wrote: »
    if its related to 2017 then a P60 would be required. Once thats issued you can request a P21 balance statement.

P45 is only for when you move jobs intra year. It gives the tax details to the new employer. You can always provide this to the tax office yourself (need company tax number) and revenue will update your file /give credits to new company. New company would (normally) take a download monthly/quarterly from Revenue and apply the correct credits/recalc your tax amount paid YTD.

something sounds off on this.

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty clueless to all this but I'll pass this info on and see what she reckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Is your partner still on emergency tax or is it just for 2017 that she had the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Yes, something is not adding up here. P45 is really only their tax details during the year which is then given to the new employer who used it to set them up on the payroll software linking PPS to the new employer number. Her P60 would be given by the new employer this year which is a statement of all tax paid in 2017 where she can get the P21c which is a balancing statement and any tax owed to her would be on it.

Essentially an organisation only have 2 week after payroll to issue the P45 and if they don't revenue can send them a reminder letter. It seems strange revenue telling her to get someone to issue a p45 for last year.

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Is your partner still on emergency tax or is it just for 2017 that she had the issue?

No, it is just to claim for Sep to end of 2017

Just so others know, she has payslips from then and P60 for last year.

As far as I can remember it is just for the last few months of 2017 but I'll check.

This makes sense then and you are right what you are saying.

As others have advised she can link her pps no to her new employers and for this year then there should be no issue with her pay once she has ensured that all her tax credits are now allocated to her new employment. It sounds like this has already been done.

For 2017, her new employers were correct in putting her on emergency tax as her other employer did not provide the P45. From my understanding of the situation the only issue is indeed getting the P45 from previous employers and this is only needed to reclaim the emergency tax.

If the previous employers have not issued the P45 then a P21 balancing statement as others have suggested is not much use as the revenue will not have full details of her pay from old and new employers.

Unfortunately Im not really sure what else she can do to try and get the P45 other than keep putting them under pressure but from my understanding (and I may not have the correct understanding here) what the other poster shave said is sort of irrelevant if her pay and tax credits for 2018 are correct.

This makes sense then and you are right what you are saying.

As others have advised she can link her pps no to her new employers and for this year then there should be no issue with her pay once she has ensured that all her tax credits are now allocated to her new employment. It sounds like this has already been done.

For 2017, her new employers were correct in putting her on emergency tax as her other employer did not provide the P45. From my understanding of the situation the only issue is indeed getting the P45 from previous employers and this is only needed to reclaim the emergency tax.

If the previous employers have not issued the P45 then a P21 balancing statement as others have suggested is not much use as the revenue will not have full details of her pay from old and new employers.

Unfortunately Im not really sure what else she can do to try and get the P45 other than keep putting them under pressure but from my understanding (and I may not have the correct understanding here) what the other poster shave said is sort of irrelevant if her pay and tax credits for 2018 are correct.

Thanks. Yep, this is what we figured but we are at a loss as to how to pressure the company in charge of the liquidation to provide it. Her and a lot of other employees in the same boat. It is getting on a bit now in fairness so the excuses are wearing thin. Can anything be mentioned to them to *ahem* entice them to speed this up?

Thanks. Yep, this is what we figured but we are at a loss as to how to pressure the company in charge of the liquidation to provide it. Her and a lot of other employees in the same boat. It is getting on a bit now in fairness so the excuses are wearing thin. Can anything be mentioned to them to *ahem* entice them to speed this up?

Any dealings I've had with any liquidators have been painfully slow and drawn out unfortunately.

Keep putting pressure on them with phonecalls/emails and perhaps ask Revenue if they can send them a strongly worded reminder making sure you inform revenue there are a number of people in same situation. This may get you nowhere fast though, sorry I don't have any more advice!

• Advertisement

Any dealings I've had with any liquidators have been painfully slow and drawn out unfortunately.

Keep putting pressure on them with phonecalls/emails and perhaps ask Revenue if they can send them a strongly worded reminder making sure you inform revenue there are a number of people in same situation. This may get you nowhere fast though, sorry I don't have any more advice!

No worries, I just thought we'd ask here in case there was something we could do or say. Thanks though :)

Advertisement