Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoking but not taking it into your lungs

Options
  • 28-03-2018 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

excuse my naivety as I have never ever smoked - but just was reading a piece on COPD earlier and it was saying about the smoke going down the bronchial tubes and irritating them and then the mucus narrowing them making it hard to breath.

It just got me thinking you know these people who wont give up or say the "cannot" give up then why dont they smoke... but not take it right down into their lungs and blow it out of their nose? - why dont they just inhale it into the mouth and then just blow it out of their mouth? - sounds too simple , might even be one of those things you have to 'learn' to do rather than take it right down to the lungs. That way the smoker still gets the 'hit' of the nicotine and tar (presumably the hit of nicotine would go through the tongue and then into the bloodstream)

of course the ideal solution would be if you had something like COPD or emphysema or something like that you would just give up straight away, but as most know its very hard for people to give up once they are hooked but if they gradually got into a habit of not inhaling the smokes right down into their lungs that would be a start wouldnt it?

if it isnt possible to inhale a cigarette without it going down to your lungs I quite understand that but I have thought I have heard in the past that actors (who are not regular smokers) and the like or not proper die-hard smokers have managed to just suck/inhale into their mouth and just blow it out again so I think it can be physically done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 declank90

I can only say from experience and I'm not a pulmonologist or doc :)

You can inhale around the mouth and exhale, this will still give some nicotine I *presume some* smoke will still go down the bronchi (definitely the trachea). It's mainly how I smoked when I first started mainly.

Some people inhale direct to lungs, I first inhale to mouth, then to lungs. Probably the most common way.

The smoke from the mouth only method will be blueish in colour, if inhaled fully and exhaled it will be whiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

my grandfather , quite a heavy smoker, not a chain-smoker mind you, he used to inhale really deep into his lungs and then all the smoke came out of his nose I remember when I was little . even used to have the yellow fingers where he would smoke right down to the orange bit of the cigarette - bar a smokers cough he had I dont think he had any medical problems like bronchitis or anything or if he did I dont remember hearing about it. He used to tell me he started at 10 .. and he lived to 84 , and even then I dont think he died from a smoking related illness

- its strange how smoking can affect people in different ways, he lived that long and yet you hear of some smokers dying in their 50's/60's

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The sensation of inhaling smoke into your lungs is part of the enjoyment. I would liken your suggestion to taking a mouthful of Coca Cola from a glass and spitting it on the ground :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Jacko753

o1s1n wrote: »
    The sensation of inhaling smoke into your lungs is part of the enjoyment. I would liken your suggestion to taking a mouthful of Coca Cola from a glass and spitting it on the ground :pac:

This

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

my grandfather , quite a heavy smoker, not a chain-smoker mind you, he used to inhale really deep into his lungs and then all the smoke came out of his nose I remember when I was little . even used to have the yellow fingers where he would smoke right down to the orange bit of the cigarette - bar a smokers cough he had I dont think he had any medical problems like bronchitis or anything or if he did I dont remember hearing about it. He used to tell me he started at 10 .. and he lived to 84 , and even then I dont think he died from a smoking related illness

- its strange how smoking can affect people in different ways, he lived that long and yet you hear of some smokers dying in their 50's/60's

The worlds oldest recorded living woman was a cigarette smoker.

Genetics often play a part in these things.

If you're all ready predisposed to cancer or other conditions then heavy smoking can really be a death sentence. Check family history.

• Advertisement

Also even if you never get ill from the fags believe me they make you feel like sh1t eventually. Drains the energy out of ya and makes it harder to maintain fitness.

You know you're old when nobody in this thread has yet mentioned... Bill Clinton.

it must be some kind of addiction when someone has just got a diagnostics of cancer or something like COPD or emphysema that they leave to doctors office and first thing they do is go out and have a fag! - must be akin to stabbing yourself ... and then continuing to stab yourself even though the pain is unbearable .. but you still carry on doing it, even though you are not helping yourself and are doing more harm .

I once knew this woman years ago (she was a chain smoker, soon as one finished she would light another one with the fag that she just finished!) - and she had these breathing oxygen tanks and a mask (think she was diagnosed with emphysema) - and when she was particularly bad would have one drag of the fag .. then one breath of the oxygen mask and so on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

it must be some kind of addiction when someone has just got a diagnostics of cancer or something like COPD or emphysema that they leave to doctors office and first thing they do is go out and have a fag! - must be akin to stabbing yourself ... and then continuing to stab yourself even though the pain is unbearable .. but you still carry on doing it, even though you are not helping yourself and are doing more harm .

I once knew this woman years ago (she was a chain smoker, soon as one finished she would light another one with the fag that she just finished!) - and she had these breathing oxygen tanks and a mask (think she was diagnosed with emphysema) - and when she was particularly bad would have one drag of the fag .. then one breath of the oxygen mask and so on!

I think you might be right with the addiction theory.

What's that old perv up to these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What a lot of ill informed nonsense in that op. There is something voyeuristic about having a chatty little discussion about peoples' death of choice but I am not sure where it will get us in the long run.

Its easy to have silly discussions about giving up smoking when you are diagnosed with COPD when you do not know anything about it. You start to have COPD from the time you start smoking, its a matter of degree.

People who smoke are not going to give it up unless they get a serious attack of cop-on. Many of them will give up when it is far to late. Some never do.

Not noticed though are the people who have to watch the ugliness that is end stage COPD, a relative starving because they don't have the breath to eat, unable to do anything or go anywhere because they don't have enough breath, losing their comprehension because their brain is starved of oxygen. Coughing and wheezing and gasping for air. If you have a serious question, ask it, but don't pretend interest in a topic just for the entertainment of starting a thread.

looksee wrote: »
    What a lot of ill informed nonsense in that op. There is something voyeuristic about having a chatty little discussion about peoples' death of choice but I am not sure where it will get us in the long run.

Its easy to have silly discussions about giving up smoking when you are diagnosed with COPD when you do not know anything about it. You start to have COPD from the time you start smoking, its a matter of degree.

People who smoke are not going to give it up unless they get a serious attack of cop-on. Many of them will give up when it is far to late. Some never do.

Not noticed though are the people who have to watch the ugliness that is end stage COPD, a relative starving because they don't have the breath to eat, unable to do anything or go anywhere because they don't have enough breath, losing their comprehension because their brain is starved of oxygen. Coughing and wheezing and gasping for air. If you have a serious question, ask it, but don't pretend interest in a topic just for the entertainment of starting a thread.

I think you mis-interpreted the OP .. and for some reason you seem offended?

I merely think, if you read it again, what I am saying is that if people have been diagnosed with COPD (or something like it) and really cannot quit , would it be better off for them to carry on smoking but not take it down to the lungs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

it must be some kind of addiction...

latest?cb=20141221214034

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well I had 5 major operations on my lungs nearly 18 years ago now. Straight after each operation I went to the smoking room for a smoke. I have tried plenty of times to give up over the years but 2 months ago I started vaping and am down from 30 odd a day to 2 days a day and finding it very hard to kick those last 2.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    latest?cb=20141221214034

haha - you read that in the wrong tone ... try saying it back in "boy it must be some addiction when..." rather than in an: "it must be some kind of addiction?" question voice :D

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Well I had 5 major operations on my lungs nearly 18 years ago now. Straight after each operation I went to the smoking room for a smoke. I have tried plenty of times to give up over the years but 2 months ago I started vaping and am down from 30 odd a day to 2 days a day and finding it very hard to kick those last 2.

god, havent you done well though! - as the late Brucie used to say <clap-icon>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I think you might be right with the addiction theory.

Alert the authorities!!

I mean, who knew!?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Alert the authorities!!

I mean, who knew!?

yes we have established that a couple of posts back ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It just got me thinking

vb2Y8Ek.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I used to smoke cigarettes. The normal way; Down to the lungs.

What I've never been able to fathom is cigar and pipe smokers. As far as I can understand it, they do just suck the smoke into their mouths and let it back out, don't they?

This thread needs an experienced cigar / pipe smokers input :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Also even if you never get ill from the fags believe me they make you feel like sh1t eventually. Drains the energy out of ya and makes it harder to maintain fitness.

And Tayto don't taste like Tayto to a smoker. They taste like a shadow of Tayto.

:mad:

But they taste like SuperTayto after you quit!

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For anyone worried about secondhand smoke

According to the Daily Mail
    Third-hand smoke may linger forever:

Advertisement