Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a slim AV Receiver

Options
  • 28-03-2018 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi All - I'm looking for any recommendations for a slimline AV receiver.

My existing Marantz NR1506 is about to give up the ghost completely so I need a replacement; the problem I have is my family are audio / visual philistines and focus on form factor only.

I get a lot of comments like "that stupid 80's box under the telly isn't working again Dad" and "we don't know what HDMI source 2 is.." and "OMG is that an actual antique?"

Requirements are 5.1 (no need for 7.x or Athmos or anything) and 4+ HDMI connections

So I need a replacement and would welcome suggestions. I would consider "pre loved" from the right source as budget is probably €300 max.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Just a friendly heads up, trading in second hand (or new for that matter) equipment is not allowed on these forums, - if you’re looking for used kit, adverts or donedeal or similar are the route to follow.

Mod Hat Off

You could try the Marantz NR1508 from Richersounds http://www.richersounds.ie/p-13047-black-319325.aspx, they also have an slimline Onkyo.

Good luck with the search

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭setanta1000

Cheers Ritz - clearly noted re trading in second hand gear - I wasn't looking for people to flog their gear to me but more along the lines of "This receiver is good - is €500 new but you might pick one up second hand for €350" - probably didn't make that clear.

Re the recommendations - I would love another Marantz but it is deemed "too big" by my style over substance family!!

Looked at the Onkyo (http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202345-txl50.aspx) and that looks really good - anyone have any experience in this model and/or Onkyo in general? I have a powered sub so would match well but would wonder what speakers would match best with it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Onkyo have a dodgy reputation quality wise, I had one previously and it was probably the only piece of kit I sold on and was happy to see the back of.
    Sony may be a main brand but still up there at certain price ranges.
    Denon / Marantz are the best in their range of pricing IMHO, Yamaha there or thereabouts.

For used you could try adverts or also Peter Tyson from the UK and pay a £10P&P charge for a Northern Ireland delivery, they are one of the few onliners who accept and sell on trade ins.

Can’t help with a particular model, just be careful on temperature as putting an AV receiver into a tight space with poor ventilation is the number one way to a short life.....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭setanta1000

Cheers Slave1

Thanks for the headsup on quality with Onkyo - certainly something to be mindful of.

Any insight into quality of the similar Pioneer? Would they be exactly the same?

Will check out Peter Tyson as well - hadn't heard of that before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

onkyo/pioneer merged a couple of years ago, while I can't comment on pioneer products, I am on my third onkyo (609 - 646 - 646) in 12 months (explained in another thread) - they probably won't give me a refund, which means I'll be on my 4th fairly soon.

check out the richersounds forum in the talk to section - they won't put you wrong and there may be some open box or customer returns deals at some point in the near future...

• Advertisement
Advertisement