Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ger Curtin on Pat Kenny today

Options
  • 28-03-2018 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Just listened to our ASTI President talking to Pat Kenny. While I thought our last guy was very poor at radio interviews, this guy is even worse. When asked by Pat about the extra work teachers are taking on, I didn't hear him mention the new Junior Cycle but what really galled me was when he said that in his school this week teachers were in preparing students for practicals and doing work with students for the Orals????!!!! Is he actually for real???? Did I hear this right??? I'll play it back later to make sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This is happening all over the country. More times than not it is the sign of a poor teacher. Sometimes it is teachers who were on sick leave who feel compelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Not surprised. I know a few teachers in different types of schools going in this week to do similar. They really shouldn't set a precedent of doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

But to hear the ASTI President say this on national radio!!! I'm sure plenty of parents are now asking why their child is not getting Easter Oral classes. He also said teachers were in his school doing other work???!!! He did a very poor job speaking up for us IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The Easter classes is always a subject of debate. Some obviously may need catchup time due to circumstances but more often than not its the same teachers whereas others never do and still achieve the same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

So around the country there are schools open where teachers are giving classes to students during the holidays and this happens each year??? God, I must lead a very sheltered life! This is news to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I didn't think he was that bad, he did mention they were possibly catch up classes. he was informed enough of the issues unlike the previous pat king.
    He addressed the 36k salary misnomer though.

Interestingly they followed with a person encouraging nurses to take up a public health nurse role... the salary was asked but she refused to give a figure without question.
    It's mad the way our wages are picked over down to very euro and the minutes worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I've gone in the past over Easter holidays to prep students for practicals. Esp in my earlier years as very often my subject is a one teacher dept and being newly qualified especially you don't know the ins and outs of it.
    Fortunately I came across a bigger dept one year whilst subbing and an older teacher was quick to point out management need to support freeing up students during normal school time to do at least one mock run through
    This in reality takes at least 2 30-3hrs depending on numbers etc and as she was quick to point out worth up to 45% of the course so it's hugely important they run through it.
    I've used that approach since and mostly it's worked - albeit very often reluctantly- and on occasion it hasn't as the main teacher I would be subbing for "always " did it outside of class time - whether that is staying back after school or Easter holidays varied.
    I do know a colleague was in yesterday though with her bunch as she's subbing and they were without a teacher for about 2 months atvthe start of the year so I presume it's pressure to finish the course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I didn't think he was that bad, he did mention they were possibly catch up classes. he was informed enough of the issues unlike the previous pat king.
    He addressed the 36k salary misnomer though.

Interestingly they followed with a person encouraging nurses to take up a public health nurse role... the salary was asked but she refused to give a figure without question.
    It's mad the way our wages are picked over down to very euro and the minutes worked.

Again, a union spokesperson conflating the two issues. Using part time nature of new teaching jobs to deflect from the actual salary (a salary acknowledged by both Pat and himself as being good).

He maintains his gripe with the stating salary is not equal. But if the work is part time, equalizing the salary is still going to leave new teachers with an unlivable pay packet at the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

salonfire wrote: »
    Again, a union spokesperson conflating the two issues. Using part time nature of new teaching jobs to deflect from the actual salary (a salary acknowledged by both Pat and himself as being good).

He maintains his gripe with the stating salary is not equal. But if the work is part time, equalizing the salary is still going to leave new teachers with an unlivable pay packet at the end of the month.

How many NQTs are on this 'actual salary' you speek when they graduate?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

All of the above issues..and then RTE leads with this:

Call for student teachers to be paid on work placements
    https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2018/0329/950894-cost-of-becoming-teacher/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭doc_17

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    This is happening all over the country. More times than not it is the sign of a poor teacher. Sometimes it is teachers who were on sick leave who feel compelled.

A poor teacher? Interesting that that is how you define someone giving up their holidays.

Advertisement