Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to do the PME with any Level 8 degree}

Options
  • 27-03-2018 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I’ve always thought I wanted to be a primary teacher, but now I’m not so sure. I’m conscious of how competitive jobs in it are right now. If I choose to do Arts or a Business degree, can I do the PME afterwards? I’m considering doing the Children’s Studies with Arts in NUIG, as it says I can. Does this apply to other courses, which aren’t related to children or education?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Before you do anything else, see if you can volunteer in a primary school. to see if it is really for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Before you do anything else, see if you can volunteer in a primary school. to see if it is really for you.

Definitely do this. Make sure its for you.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vithit

I know it’s totally different, but if it means anything, I did 4 weeks work experience in one during TY. I spent it mostly doing art or helping the weaker kids with their work in Junior to 1st class.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Hi Vithit

Doing art classes with a group of kids with teachers present is a hugely different experience to having full responsibility of 30 children and their learning. I used to do art classes with kids in schools then decided to work in some Summer camps, I had total responsibility of a class of 20 kids and quickly discovered that Primary teaching wasnt for me. I love children but couldnt handle that everyday,youre not there to be their friend and youve to be really tough on them or else they can get very out of control. You also need to have eyes in the back of your head. Ive so much respect for primary school teachers, its not an easy job. Id recommend applying for art teaching positions or assistant jobs in children's Summer camps to see how you find it.

Advertisement