Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibt duration

Options
  • 27-03-2018 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

How many days or weekends does it take to complete the A category ibt training. I know its something like 18 hours but is it spread out over a couple of weekends or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

18hrs, usually able to be completed over 2 full days- but depends on your own progress. I split mine over 2 weekends, 1 day at a time. Timed out a little too, so ended up back for 2hrs one of the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Depending on yourself, and the instructor, it's usually done over 2 days.

In my case when I had to do it last year I went out at about 9 am, spent the day riding around County Cork and then went home. Day 2 was basically the same but we went through all the theory too for about 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Modules 1 & 3 are generally done one day and module 5 another. Up to you and the instructor what days they are done. You can do it over 4 days in your own time or blast through it in a weekend. Really depends on how quick you personally pick up and retain information, a weekend may be information overload, or you may be a sponge who absorbs everything.
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    Depending on yourself, and the instructor, it's usually done over 2 days.

In my case when I had to do it last year I went out at about 9 am, spent the day riding around County Cork and then went home. Day 2 was basically the same but we went through all the theory too for about 2 hours.
    Eh, you shouldn't have been out on the road on day 1 at all, you should have been classroom or compound training. The theory and practical is meant to be done before any public road exposure. Highly irresponsible by the instructor to do it out of sequence. /keyboardwarriormode

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

woody84 wrote: »
    How many days or weekends does it take to complete the A category ibt training. I know its something like 18 hours but is it spread out over a couple of weekends or what?

Depends on you instructor.

Some spend literally a whole day teaching you classroom stuff, I would avoid them

You'll get more value our of an instructor that ditches that and takes you out on bikes.

I never did any classroom ****e and no one wants to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Eh, you shouldn't have been out on the road on day 1 at all, you should have been classroom or compound training. The theory and practical is meant to be done before any public road exposure. Highly irresponsible by the instructor to do it out of sequence. /keyboardwarriormode

Ah, to be fair I'd been riding for a good few years in my late teens and early 20s, I just let the licence expire and to go through the IBT as a formality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭woody84

Has anyone here by any chance done training with William Donohue Cavan Motorcycle training?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Goose81 wrote: »
    Depends on you instructor.

Some spend literally a whole day teaching you classroom stuff, I would avoid them

You'll get more value our of an instructor that ditches that and takes you out on bikes.

I never did any classroom ****e and no one wants to do that.

So you recommend avoiding instructors that stick to the official syllabus?
    You'll get more value out of an instructor who explains the theory before expecting the practical to be executed correctly.
    Even advanced training courses contain an element of classroom. Also track days, Instructor training, stunting etc.
    I would recommend avoiding instructors who skip the theory particularly with newbies as it is vital for new riders to understand what they are getting into.

Advertisement