Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sallynoggin to Howth

Options
  • 27-03-2018 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi, all. I will be bringing a group on a Sunday trip to Howth in a few weeks. I plan to leave in the morning and get a 7a to town and then get the 31a to Shielmartin Road. We will then do the cliff walk. Does the walk start near Sheilmartin Road? I then want to get a bus from the end of the cliff walk to Raheny or back to town before getting a DART home. I know it's not the quickest way to go there but I prefer buses than DARTs. Any recommendations on what to do? I'm not that familiar with the routes. Any response appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

The stop on Sheilmartin road is not too far from the cliff walk. Head towards the Martello tower from the bus stop and you should pick up a path.

Personally unless the group you are bringing are unfit I would do the cliff walk from Howth village out and back to the Bailey or just beyond. Its not that long and you can vary it a bit by upper and lower cliff walk.

The buses will be slow (especially if its sunny) and fairly irregular on a Sunday so the Dart would really be a much better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There are no DARTs north of Connolly this weekend [ http://www.irishrail.ie/service-updates/irishrail-engineering-works ] in case you are not already aware of that.

If it is sunny try to get the 9.45 31A as the later one at 11:45 will get caught up in traffic which gets bad on any weekend with decent weather and obviously not helped by lack of trains.

To get to the cliff walk, stay on the 31A until the terminus. Get off and continue walking in the same direction,, following the road to the right down a hill to the sea. Take the left path at the bottom and you are on the walk. You will see the Martello from the entrance. Allow 2.5 to 3 hours.

I would have a backup in case the 31A lives up to its unreliable reputation which would be to get the 31 to the far end of Howth Harbour, going to the left of O'Connells/King Sitric and do the cliff walk in the other direction.

http://dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/31a-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Thanks seaswimmer and Tricky D for the responses. I guess I will get buses to/from. From what I can see on Google Maps do I walk down to the Martello tower and follow a path going past Red Rock Beach and Bailly Lighthouse all the way to the harbour? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

From what I can see on Google Maps do I walk down to the Martello tower and follow a path going past Red Rock Beach and Bailly Lighthouse all the way to the harbour? Thanks.
    Yup that is pretty much it. The weather looks middling so bear that in mind as well as the groups safety. Enjoy the views!

Advertisement