Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlo vs Wired Cameras

Options
  • 26-03-2018 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

Is there a wired system similar to Arlo (which is wireless)... I presume wired camera would not have to charged + it can record constantly.

Not looking for crappy old-fashioned cameras that need bulky dvr boxes but something that comes with an app/cloud

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, lots of cameras like that, some options:

- Nest Cameras
    - Logitech Circle (I've these myself)
    - Hive View

And actually Arlo also has a wired camera, the Arlo Q

Lots of good info here, though it is US oriented:
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-home-security-camera/

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭builder007

Thanks!

Are the ones you have outdoor ready?

Just looked them up... Logitech cameras look really like a good deal!

The don't have siren like Arlo but probably I can hook them up to a standalone siren can't I ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

builder007 wrote: »
    Are the ones you have outdoor ready?

Circle 2 is.
    The don't have siren like Arlo but probably I can hook them up to a standalone siren can't I ?

Not that I'm aware of. Though you could always trigger a siren on a separate system like Xiaomi or Smart Things if you saw someone on the camera.

It does have two way talking, so you could tell a burglar to bugger off!

Do you maybe have a link to one of those standalone sirens? Struggling to find one

• Advertisement

Do you maybe have a link to one of those standalone sirens? Struggling to find one

Not a direct link.

I mean for instance you could buy a Xiaomi Mi hub that includes a siren. If you saw someone on the camera in your home, you would then launch the Xiaomi app and trigger the Siren to go off.

Sorry I misunderstood your question, like this:

https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_345588.html?wid=37

I see... Thanks. Will Google it.

Why not Xiaomi cameras then?

I see... Thanks. Will Google it.

Why not Xiaomi cameras then?

They are of a much lower quality and don't work as well IME.

They are ok for the price, but reflect their cost.

There isn't much advantage that I can see of integrating cameras with other sensors, not from what I've seen so far, cameras are a bit standalone. I've a Circle 1, 2 and both Xiaomi hub and various sensors and SmartThings hub and various sensors.

In some ways I like having separate systems, it gives you redundancy. For instance if your Xiaomi or SmartThings hub go down (as the SmartThings hub has over the last few days) then the Circle cameras can still notify you of an intruder or vice versa.

Just to follow up, I see now that the Arlo siren can be triggered in two ways:

1) Manually from within the app
    2) When motion is detected

The use of the Xiaomi would only cover the first option. I didn't realise Arlo could do the second option.

I'd be a little slow using the second option. I've gotten a few false positives over the years, of cameras detecting motion, which turned out to be just a neighbour knocking at the patio poor and another time a moth flying in front of the camera! I wouldn't want a loud alarm going off all the time in those circumstances.

But if you want the second option, then I don't think the Circle will currently do it for you. But I'm not sure any other will do either.

Maybe Nest Cam, with IFTTT + SmartThings and a Siren, but that would be a bit cobbled together.

• Advertisement

That's clear and I'd fully agree with that. That's probably why Arlo are able to charge premium and get away with it...

The only thing is Arlo is wireless and cameras need to be recharged... Whole my house is already wired for CCTV...

Actually it seems Arlo Pro can be powered by wire if you want:

https://kb.arlo.com/1145362/What-new-features-does-Arlo-Pro-offer

Though it can't be used outdoors then and I'm sure there are some other trade-offs.

Why not a CCTV system if your home is wired for it?

I would hav thought that CCTV is a thing of the past and i discarded it (maybe by mistake) at the very beginning.

What are the top notch CCTV systems out there? Ideally that have an app that I can use in my.phone?

Cheers

I would hav thought that CCTV is a thing of the past and i discarded it (maybe by mistake) at the very beginning.

What are the top notch CCTV systems out there? Ideally that have an app that I can use in my.phone?

I don't have too much experience of them. I've seen others recommend Hikvision, hopefully they will be by and an give you more guidance.

I think that the newer NVRs (the unit with the hard drive where the footage is recorded) have apps, notifications, etc. but I'm not sure if they have cloud storage options too.

It's the old coax cable :(

All the newer NVR s use ethernet cameras

Is there something out there that I could attach on each end of the cable and convert it into an ethernet cable?

Or is it a mad thing to do

Just checked... I think the cable is BNC cable... can i use this cable for modern cameras?

Advertisement