Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty Insurance - MK5 Golf GTI predicament

Options
  • 26-03-2018 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I currently drive a 2005 3dr MK5 Golf GT TDI 2.0 (140bhp standard).

Now I want to get a 2008 3dr MK5 Golf GTI 2.0 DSG (200bhp standard [automatic]).

I've been on the 'manage my online policy' account on the Liberty website and there you can change your vehicle details. I done this when getting insured on my current car, I had to pay an extra €166.00 to go from a 2006 1.4 ZR to the GT TDI, this was fine as there was a big difference between the cars. Now though, trying to get insured on the GTI is what's making me frustrated with Liberty.

Within their vehicle selection process, there is a choice of two between the GTI's (3 or 5 door), and then within that is the choice of automatic or manual. Now before this, on the drop down menu, there are three different GTI choices, all of which have 3 or 5 door options and all are the same power, litre etc. The first 3 door option, doesn't have an automatic option, only manual. When I select this, they'll insure me no problem and even offer me a €140.00 REFUND.

Now, since the car I want is automatic, I go to the next 'GTI option' that has an automatic option, I select it, click ok to get the quote, "We are unable to quote you blah blah", sorry what? The exact same car, same value, same number of doors, same engine, everything, they won't quote me with it being entered as automatic. Not even an increase in price. But yet they will give me a refund on a manual transmission GTI?

Can someone please explain this to me? Its very hard to believe they'll give me a refund on a manual, but absolutely no quote at all on an automatic.

I've called and spoke to their customer service agents too. These have told that I must be over the age of 30 to get insured on a GTI. I then told her that the online system insures me on the manual no problem and also gives me a refund, I said if I put this through, would I be refused. She replied no, and said once the system gives the quote, we wouldn't chase and refuse you the insurance. What happened to the over 30's rule?

I'm at a loss here as there is a lovely GTI that I really want, but cannot get insured as its an automatic... But if it was manual, I'd be up €140! It doesn't make sense at all :confused:

Also to add, yes the automatic is probably quicker, but it doesn't warrant them not quoting me at all, but giving me a refund on the manual equivalent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Phone them; online is a waste of time, I bet it's the same - or less.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

galwaytt wrote: »
    Phone them; online is a waste of time, I bet it's the same - or less.

Think the op did, but they are contradicting the online quote, having to be over 30 to drive that car as i read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NeilMcGrane

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Think the op did, but they are contradicting the online quote, having to be over 30 to drive that car as i read it.

Exactly this. I've gotten onto them again and its being reviewed now by the underwriters. Its a blatant mistake with their system and they know it.

I may have just messed up my chances at even getting a manual one now though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Exactly this. I've gotten onto them again and its being reviewed now by the underwriters. Its a blatant mistake with their system and they know it.

Im with liberty insuraance aswell and hoping to change my car within the next month I rang Liberty yesterday with the car I had in mind but they told me due to my age they would not be able to insure me but they could put it to underwriters. What does this mean and would this be bad? Thanks

Mf310 wrote: »
    Im with liberty insuraance aswell and hoping to change my car within the next month I rang Liberty yesterday with the car I had in mind but they told me due to my age they would not be able to insure me but they could put it to underwriters. What does this mean and would this be bad? Thanks

I had major hassle with them over my original issue. They came to the conclusion that no they will not insure me on a MK5 GTI due to me being under 30 years of age, and if I was to go through the online system and get insured through that, they would refuse me.

30 years of age minimum for a 200bhp automatic hatchback... I know who won't be getting my renewal in the next few months :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sorry to barge in here but is there many insurance companies who won't cover the 25-30 age bracket in the likes of a GTI?

You could be driving since you're 18 with a clean license, full NCB and wouldn't get cover for being under 30 but someone who's 30 with almost no NCB will get cover?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Sorry to barge in here but is there many insurance companies who won't cover the 25-30 age bracket in the likes of a GTI?

You could be driving since you're 18 with a clean license, full NCB and wouldn't get cover for being under 30 but someone who's 30 with almost no NCB will get cover?

I think it was their polite way of refusing me if I'm being honest.

I bet if I went out tomorrow and bought a manual MK5 GTI and insured it through their online system, they wouldn't bat an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I had major hassle with them over my original issue. They came to the conclusion that no they will not insure me on a MK5 GTI due to me being under 30 years of age, and if I was to go through the online system and get insured through that, they would refuse me.

30 years of age minimum for a 200bhp automatic hatchback... I know who won't be getting my renewal in the next few months :P

Funny you say that because a mate of mine does drive his aul lads one on third party extension from time to time. As long as it's taxed he's good to go.

Funny you say that because a mate of mine does drive his aul lads one on third party extension from time to time. As long as it's taxed he's good to go.

Time to convince the oulfella to get a GTI so :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

3 door manual quote looks like an website error seeing as they won't cover any other variant, including the correct one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement