Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vespa issues

Options
  • 26-03-2018 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone might have experienced the issues I currently am?
    Vespa lx 50, 2 stroke, 2009. Been giving me a lot of trouble lately.
    Started after the exhaust came off. Got a new one on and power output between 30kmph and 50kmph was poor ever since, If you hit any sort of incline in that range then you may as well forget about it. Once it hits 50 it was then getting a jolt of power and back to its normal nippy self. Got it serviced only last week, ever since the power delivery is worse and it’s cutting out on me while driving. Managed to get her started again but after multiple attempts, but power is very poor and cuts out idling - at lights and the like. At my wits end here. Any advice or knowledge welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

TheShow wrote: »
    Hi,
    Wondering if anyone might have experienced the issues I currently am?
    Vespa lx 50, 2 stroke, 2009. Been giving me a lot of trouble lately.
    Started after the exhaust came off. Got a new one on and power output between 30kmph and 50kmph was poor ever since, I’d you hit any sort of incline in that range then you may as well forget about it. Once it hits 50 it was then getting a jolt of power and back to its normal nippy self. Got it serviced only last week, ever since the power delivery is worse and it’s cutting out on me while driving. Manage to get her started again but after multiple attempts,but power is very poor and cuts out idling - at lights and the like. At my wits end here. Any advice or knowledge welcome.

The exhaust fell off? What brand of exhaust did they replace it with? My money is on the exhaust having a restrictor in it that the previous one did not have, i.e it was drilled out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Goose81 wrote: »
    The exhaust fell off? What brand of exhaust did they replace it with? My money is on the exhaust having a restrictor in it that the previous one did not have, i.e it was drilled out

Ha, yes was a stock Vespa exhaust, I’m admittedly a bit of a novice, but must have been bad rust underneath, was scooting in one morning and the scoot got progressively louder until clump, off it came. I had to finish my commute drawing all sorts of attention!!
    The mechanic replaced it with a “Tempo” exhaust I think is the name on it.
    You reckon it’s something as simple as that? Would that cause it to cut out though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You can't just swop an exhaust from one brand to another on a two stroke without repercussions, or possibly needing rejetting.

Go and get a (new) bog standard original Vespa exhaust and that would cure it I'd say.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement