Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data only add-on?

Options
  • 26-03-2018 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Now that Eir have discontinued their 180 day 50gb data option, is there anything comparable out there? I'd like something that lasts longer than a month, if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Lyca (3G only, no tethering) 15 top up gets 10GB and keep the top up

Then buy a data bundle after 1st month ends:
    4.99 for 3GB
    6.99 for 5GB

Tesco (3G only, tethering works)

30 euro (2 months of 15 top up, keep top up) will get 2 months of 10GB
    As long as you don't spend any of that credit then 30 euro will get 3 x 10 euro 5GB add ons.
    5 months for 30 euro but only 5GB in 3 of those 5.

Postmobile (3G only, addons last 60 days)
    20e for 6.5GB
    10e for 3GB

Vodafone add ons
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/add-ons.html

Eir add ons
    https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/add-ons/

Not great options there.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Thanks, Ten Pin - would need both tethering option and some roaming as I'm over and back across the border frequently. I guess a Vodafone data add-on is as good as it gets now? Some months I use a lot of data out and about and others almost none.

I'll be scouting around for free wifi spots more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I'm in the same boat, although not roaming that often.

Going to try Tesco methinks. 4G rumoured later this year. Won't hold my breath but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Yeah think it will need to be Tesco for me as well and might be able to do the €5/1gb per month addon so after the initial €15 and 10gb for the first month I can then get a further 3 months at 1gb for the €15 so would make it €45 for the year with 3 of those months at 10gb and the remaining 9 at 1gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

On the lycamobile site there is a 3GB bundle for €4.99, would that not be better value? Same 3G signal so you wouldn't be losing speed.

• Advertisement

Zhane wrote: »
    On the lycamobile site there is a 3GB bundle for €4.99, would that not be better value? Same 3G signal so you wouldn't be losing speed.

I need to be able to use it in wireless hotspot device so this is not possible with Lyca I believe as they do not allow tethering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

reni10 wrote: »
    I need to be able to use it in wireless hotspot device so this is not possible with Lyca I believe as they do not allow tethering?

Ah ok. Sorry I missed that part. I'm gonna get the new iPad on cellular and i won't need to tether as far as i can guess so I'm gonna go on that plan and see how i get on.

Apart from tethering Tesco also allows add ons to be stacked.
    From their website:
    If you purchase a new data once off Add-on before an existing once off data Add-on has expired, both the remaining data allowance and expiry date are extended by the new data Add-on purchase e.g. if you have 10 days and 500MB left from your initial 30 day Add-on when you purchase a new 30 day data Add-on you will now have 40 days of data usage with a 1524MB data allowance.

Tesco are reducing the add on validity to 28 days from 9th May, no mention of any change to the 15 top up validity of 30 days

http://www.tescomobile.ie/add-ons.aspx
    Prepay customers: from the 9th of May, the bundle add-on period, for both Recurring and Once Off Bundle add-ons, will change from 30 days to 28 days. This means that the cost of the bundle add-on will be deducted from your credit every 28 days. The price of bundle add-ons and the benefits received remain unchanged.

Nice of Tesco to now make you pay the same for less!

• Advertisement
Advertisement