Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC German Oral: Swiss German

Options
  • 26-03-2018 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi!

Is it possible to speak Swiss German in the German oral exam instead of Standard German?

The differences are quite big, nothing like British/American English. Some examples:

1. K is pronounced like the English 'k' in Standard German, but like a gargly 'ch' in Swiss German.

2. Standard German uses 'ß', but Swiss German only uses 'ss'.

I'm just afraid that the examiner would mark me down for wrong pronunciations or spellings.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the specified dialect that is taught is Hochdeutsch, but email the SEC and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

spurious wrote: »
    I think the specified dialect that is taught is Hochdeutsch, but email the SEC and ask.

I would say try to speak Standard German but first explain to the examiner that you are more familiar with Swiss German. But I am not a teacher. Have you asked your teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭ForestFire

How good is your Swiss German? I presume you have learned it as a native language? So is it quite good?

As other poster said the subject is standard German so you might need to try to modify your pronuciation a bit, but if you have good Swiss German to begin with, I think you will still be quite good compared to other students?

Start the conversation at exam about how your family is from Switzerland or that to visit there every year?

Advertisement