Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of dropping out in 4th year

Options
  • 26-03-2018 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am in my fourth year and I am thinking of leaving my course. I completed a level 7 in Biosciences and graduated in November. I am now in the Level 8 course for just the final 4th year, but I am unsure if I want to leave. I have been completely miserable in the course for most of this year and I am not doing the best in CA exams.

My thesis project also has not been going as well as I had hoped. I do have results, but I was not able to finish a large part of the project as I couldn't check my results after the holidays. This is one of the main reasons that I want to leave, as I feel I should have gotten more done, even though I was in the lab from 9-5 a lot of times, spending four hours more than I was meant to because a test in my project wouldn't work for about 2 months.

I have been very down recently and my friends have noticed. I hate it there. I love the friends I have made, but the coursework is just too much this year. The work is getting on top of me and I don't know how I will pass the exams in May.

I don't know what to do, as I dread telling my parents. I imagine the discussion will not go well. I have a part time job on the weekends that I could go full time in if I left, and I could learn to drive too. It's mainly my parents' opinions that is stopping me from leaving. I don't know how to tell them, and I am afraid they will take over the conversation and start an argument.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know the ideal option would be to power through the last 2 months, but I just feel so burned out and miserable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Can you speak to your course / department Head and discuss the option of deferring? I'm the parent of two college students and if I thought either of them felt stressed, this is what I would suggest. Best of luck to you.

Advertisement