Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy

Options
  • 26-03-2018 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey

I've just had an ultrasound this morning. My dates since my last cycle are 6 weeks 6 days.
    She seen the gestational sac and the yolk sac but it is only measuring 5 weeks 6 days and could not see a heart beat. She has said everything is in the right place as I had an ectopic pregnancy last year.. She said she is wondering why there is a difference in the week and until she sees a heartbeat she can't confirm if it is a viable pregnancy.
    Obviously this has me extremely worried. They are bringing me back in 2 weeks for another scan.
    Just looking for some positive stories to try and keep me up beat about this and hope that everything will be ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Big hugs for you, you must be beside yourself. It could just be that the tech just couldn’t find the heartbeat. Being a week or so under, I wouldn’t worry about as conception can be 1-2 week after your LMP. You’ll know more at your next scan, so try not to worry too much till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Firstly congrats! And secondly try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know!)

It is so common for dates to not match up and there be no issues at all with the fetus. I measured 13 days behind where I thought I should have been. There was a heartbeat as I was over 7 weeks by then and the sonographer wasnt a bit worried. He did bring me back in 2 weeks just to confirm growth was continuing and all was fine!

I honestly wouldn't fret at all over the dates, its so common. With regards to the heartbeat, at 5w + 6d the fetus is in such early stage that there is no guarantee of a heartbeat at that stage anyway so again the best thing you can do is do your best to relax for the 2 weeks and let your baby develop as it should.

Fingers and toes crossed for you and bub

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Scanned at 5w 6d on this pregnancy, no heartbeat and difficulty seeing anything in the sac.
    Ten days later, there was that heartbeat.34 weeks and 5 days now, pregnancy no.3, this has happened on all three.
    Do you have any symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

Your dates maybe incorrect + if that early you wouldn't expect a heartbeat. I had my 1st scan at 8 weeks + they couldn't find a heartbeat until the did an internal exam. Now I have a healthy 3 boy running around. Figures crossed everything will work out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I had a scan at 6 weeks with no heartbeat seen. He’s currently sitting on my lap as a 3 months old. If I didn’t know exactly when I ovulated (fertility treatment) I would have been a week behind as well as I ovulated in day 21 and the assumption is day 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Elaine22

shesty wrote: »
    Scanned at 5w 6d on this pregnancy, no heartbeat and difficulty seeing anything in the sac.
    Ten days later, there was that heartbeat.34 weeks and 5 days now, pregnancy no.3, this has happened on all three.
    Do you have any symptoms?

Hi shesty

No I have no symptoms. She asked me was I feeling nauseous. She seemed ok with it all but just hearing them words " we can't confirm if it's viable until we see a heart beat " kinda has me all mixed up.
    I've noticed in last week or so my boobs are not as sore or as full either and I have no nausea. It's making me think has the little bean stopped growing for 1) for my dates to be mixed up and 2) a lot of my pregnancy symptoms disappearing apart from the bloated feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I had very few symptoms in my pregnancy. Insomnia was the only consistent one. I might have had a bit of nausea every couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mm, it kind of depends on the pregnancy to be honest, two of mine hadn't much by way of symptoms til 7 weeks.I know how horrible the wait is but unfortunately it's all you can really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I have two children and both pregnancies at early scans I was put back a week from LMP dates. I ovulate late, around day 21. We could see a heartbeat but that’s because I was closer to 7 weeks (thinking I was closer to 8) when getting scanned.

I’m pregnant again and fully expecting the same all going well. It’s very nerve wrecking, I completely understand but try take comfort that it can be very common and normal. Early pregnancy is a nervous time and the symptom spotting can really mess with your head! Good luck!

Apologies for not replying back..
    I have contacted the nurse who done my scan and she has said that as the CRL is less than 5mm it's ok not too see a feral heart beat at that stage. So I'm really hoping and praying when I go back to my next appointment that something will show up. The CRL is measuring at 3.1mm. There def has being growth since my last scan previous to this one, approx 2 weeks ago.
    I still have no pregnancy symptoms so this Is kinda scaring me as she has asked me again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Elaine22 wrote:
    I still have no pregnancy symptoms so this Is kinda scaring me as she has asked me again

Don't get to hung up on symptoms ( I know they are really reassuring to have), I had none of the classic pregnancy symptoms in the first trimester. The only way I was able to describe how I felt was that I just felt 'off' and that all disappeared at 8 weeks. And then at around 13 weeks till about 17 weeks I was exhausted all of the time, exhaustion is normally a first trimester symptom. So everyone and every pregnancy is very different.

scarepanda wrote: »
    Don't get to hung up on symptoms ( I know they are really reassuring to have), I had none of the classic pregnancy symptoms in the first trimester. The only way I was able to describe how I felt was that I just felt 'off' and that all disappeared at 8 weeks. And then at around 13 weeks till about 17 weeks I was exhausted all of the time, exhaustion is normally a first trimester symptom. So everyone and every pregnancy is very different.

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.. it is very reassuring to hear that 😊 only reason why I am being so anxious, I unfortunately had an ectopic pregnancy last year after 8 years trying to conceive. We are fortunate enough to have a 12 yr old gorgeous lil man who is asking us on a weekly basis "when is he going to get a brother Or sister". Needless to say I am biting my tongue trying not to tell him until we know for 100% that this pregnancy is ok. We are ecstatic over it but, there is always that negative feeling that something will happen. I know I sound like a negative Annie right now lol.

Ah no, your not being negative at all. I haven't been through the same experience as you, but I can completely understand your worry, especially if you don't have any symptoms. It is reassuring to have all the typical symptoms. But the lack of doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong either.

We went for a private scan at 8+5 weeks simply for my own reassurance because of the lack of typical symptoms. My OH thought I was mad going, but it was a huge relief to see the little bean and the heartbeat. Hopefully everything is ok for you at the next scan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Are you in Dublin? Try Evie at the Beacon for a free scan between 7-12 weeks. They are fabulous. Loads of us in the October thread have been

scarepanda wrote: »
    Ah no, your not being negative at all. I haven't been through the same experience as you, but I can completely understand your worry, especially if you don't have any symptoms. It is reassuring to have all the typical symptoms. But the lack of doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong either.

We went for a private scan at 8+5 weeks simply for my own reassurance because of the lack of typical symptoms. My OH thought I was mad going, but it was a huge relief to see the little bean and the heartbeat. Hopefully everything is ok for you at the next scan

Aww thank u, I cannot wait for my next scan next week. The days feel like they are going back ways.
    I would book in for a private scan only, the only scanning clinic we have in our town is owned by my EPU nurse so, She prob think I'm gone mad, lol.

Are you in Dublin? Try Evie at the Beacon for a free scan between 7-12 weeks. They are fabulous. Loads of us in the October thread have been

No I'm not in Dublin. I'm in the Midlands area.
    I will be 7 weeks 3 days when I have my next scan so, I'm hoping a lot more will show up on it then. My dates were pushed back by a week so based on my last LMP I should be 8 weeks 3 days

If your anywhere near Mullingar, I fully recommend scanme. It's where iv gone for all my private scans (pregnancy and gyne) and shiela is lovely. Shes very striaght to the point regarding what she sees on the scan.

***UPDATE***
    Have been for my repeat scan and unfortunately it's not great news.
    Baby measured 2.8mm 10 days ago and is still measuring same today with no visible heart beat.
    They have me told it's a missed miscarriage. Needless to say I am absolutely devastated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Elaine22 wrote: »
    ***UPDATE***
    Have been for my repeat scan and unfortunately it's not great news.
    Baby measured 2.8mm 10 days ago and is still measuring same today with no visible heart beat.
    They have me told it's a missed miscarriage. Needless to say I am absolutely devastated

Oh you poor thing. I am so so sorry to hear this, especially given your history. Take time to grieve and support one another. Wishing you all the best.

Oh you poor thing. I am so so sorry to hear this, especially given your history. Take time to grieve and support one another. Wishing you all the best.

Aww thank you very much. It is going to be very hard to try deal with this. I suppose I am in denial at the minute until I have my next scan but I suppose I have to try and believe this is what it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very sad news Elaine 22. Hope your doing ok. Take Care of yourself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I've been there as many of us here have and know how very sad and deeply disappointing it is. Be very gentle with yourselves. Sending you love and good wishes. <3

Advertisement