Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighter motorbike gear

Options
  • 26-03-2018 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some gear that I can do stuff in. Say for example things like, going around town, going to take photos, going for a walk, going to a cinema. Things where having big bulky, hot gear on does not suit.

I have been looking at,

Flannel kevlar shirts
    Cafe racer style Leather jackets
    kevlar Jeans
    Runner boot type boots or leather "street" boots.

I am looking at gear and wondering how decent it is and how protected do i actually need to be. I am just wondering how other people feel about this kind of gear, what they have and like or dislike etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

While Kevlar jeans offer protection, they can retain heat on warmer days so might be uncomfortable in a cinema say. Have a look at textile gear that you can take out the lining. Some jackets and textile trousers allow this so could be an option.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/ have a lot of that stuff - I'm sure there's some Irish stockists too but I find that site is good for browsing a certain 'category' of motorcycle gear.

Knox do some nice armored shirts that you can wear under regular clothes. Won't offer any abrasion resistance though. They also have some nice light jackets, as do Rev'It.

For Kevlar jeans be sure they have a lining in them. I have a pair without a lining, where the kevlar comes in direct contact with skin, and they get *very* warm when walking around.
    I am looking at gear and wondering how decent it is and how protected do i actually need to be.

Let my just crack open this can of worms andOHGODTHEY'VEGONEEVERYWHERE

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I went to Dundrum shopping centre in my lightest gear last autumn and felt like Robocop.

Leather is too heavy for a jacket, textile OK. Kevlar jeans are OK but the knee protectors make walking awkward.

I'd try and keep the protection out of the jacket and trousers, then you can take it out and stash it.

I use leather street boots but again, they're heavy and hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Would luggage, ie a top box be an option?.

I've a 36lt Givi box which I use to store my bike gear when I need to go shopping etc.

Although if I was buying again I'd go to 45lt, which my son has on his GS and its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hey OP.

I got kevlar jeans, street boots and a richa leather jacket about two years back. They served me really well when I was out and about and wanted protective gear but not visually obvious.

The jeans do get hot, but mine were fine. The jacket is heavy yes, but again manageably so. And the boots were excellent too.

Happy purchasing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I remember Hein Gerick had some great hot weather jackets. Something like this would probably be good: https://www.amazon.co.uk/THOMAS-LEATHER-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-TEXTILE/dp/B005PW4D8I

But after having a bike with panniers I'm with Mak on this one. Top box or panniers. Especially if walking any distance. You can store your jacket, lid and gloves in it. If you're in town shopping it's the handiest thing ever. I used to park outside Stephens Green Centre/Tourist office Andrew street/princes street/liffey street, where ever is handiest. Put gear in the panniers, go shopping and use the other pannier like a locker to put stuff I bought into while I walked past to go somewhere else.
    Like Lumen said, even the lightest gear when walking around is awkward. Once it's over 15 degrees it's a disaster.
    I was at the giants causeway, twice in the space of 2 years. Once with a bike with top box and panniers, second time with none. Being able to take gear off and walk down to those poxy hexagonal rocks beats any light gear. If you're taking photos carrying around a lid is a pain in the hoop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas.

I meant to get a top box a couple years ago for the same kind of reason, I wanted to be able to go for a hike in the mountains, I think what put me off is the size of box needed for 2 x helmets plus a pair of boots, jacket and pants etc.

Richa have some jeans that have cordura in the weave rather than kevlar, i am finding it hard to find any info on them but it might be good for heat.

I want stuff that looks like normal clothing and is comfortable with enough protection that i feel comfortable on the bike.

I should have gone to cotters last weekend when they had a big sale on, I might pop out there and see if they have anything of interest. Its weird reading reviews of things and some people are saying they ordered two sizes up and it fits perfectly while others are saying they ordered the right size its right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

To get all that gear into boxes you'd need panniers and top box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I can't offer any suggestions on the gear, but I am looking for the same stuff myself.
    I got a class pair of boots that look like a pair of dubes. Really easy on/off. Very stylish and comfortable. I can wear them I to work for the day on casual friday for the full day no issues.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Forma-Naxos-Stiefel/SubProducts/Forma-Naxos-Stiefel-0008&Currency=EUR&Locale=en_IE&utm_source=Portalexport&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping_IE&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqYfWBRDPARIsABjQRYzzRwyhXCCQRgecDtcSJyJqOxSkfujRw8o6euUPQJvuvqZvBMNJeoMaAmwMEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Going to go against the trend and say there's actually no such thing.

There's always a compromise with biker gear.

Quite simply your probably better off getting a full textile suit and wearing your own stuff underneath and throwing the suit in a back box.

With lighter gear like Jeans which I own they are sweaty and there is some restriction on movement

Oh and Ireland's got pissy weather the majority of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I have recommended these before and I will again. https://www.xlmoto.ie/alpinestars-j-6-waterproof-shoes-brown#?p

I have had these for nearly two years and they are perfect. I will probably get a black pair of the same for more formal occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Also depends where you are riding. If it's just around town, then you will not be going fast, so not as much need for the heavy gear.

Kevlar jeans with no armour and a light wax jacket will do the job. Even biking street boots are a bit heavy, but I think you do need some extra padding on the toe/top side of the foot for shifting gears.

Advertisement