Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with job titles

Options
  • 25-03-2018 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So Im trying to get insured for the first time, im currently working as a shop assistant but i will be charge hand in the coming weeks. i dont have the official title yet.

so my insurance is 3,800 with boxymo for 8000km which wont be enough for me (4,000 is my budget) its the same with charge hand positions or shop assistant position. i dont want to go with boxymo because of the tracker and i dont have enough mileage

insurance with liberty is 5,800 if i say im a shop assistant and 4,100 if i say im a charge hand. am i able to go with liberty saying im a charge hand even when i dont have the official title? will they check that?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

slain86 wrote: »
    So Im trying to get insured for the first time, im currently working as a shop assistant but i will be charge hand in the coming weeks. i dont have the official title yet.

so my insurance is 3,800 with boxymo for 8000km which wont be enough for me (4,000 is my budget) its the same with charge hand positions or shop assistant position. i dont want to go with boxymo because of the tracker and i dont have enough mileage

insurance with liberty is 5,800 if i say im a shop assistant and 4,100 if i say im a charge hand. am i able to go with liberty saying im a charge hand even when i dont have the official title? will they check that?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a charge hand?

Have you gotten promoted and you now will have more responsibilities? If this is the case and if it definitely will happen then i would say give them your new job title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 slain86

charge hand is basically below supervisor and assistant manager, higher than shop assistant. just able to handle opening and closing shop so it is a promotion. it will happen but im trying to get insured for next week but im currently a shop assistant and the charge hand title wont come for another few weeks as they try to sort things out. i also said my car is worth 2,000 when i got it for 1,000.

slain86 wrote: »
    charge hand is basically below supervisor and assistant manager, higher than shop assistant. just able to handle opening and closing shop so it is a promotion. it will happen but im trying to get insured for next week but im currently a shop assistant and the charge hand title wont come for another few weeks as they try to sort things out. i also said my car is worth 2,000 when i got it for 1,000.

I would put charge hand down in this case. You obviously have demonstrated a level of reponsibility to your supervisors/manager and if you stay in your job you will be a charge hand for most of the lifetime of the policy.

Are similar cars going for 2,000 on donedeal? Same mileage, make, model etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Killer K wrote: »
    I would put charge hand down in this case. You obviously have demonstrated a level of reponsibility to your supervisors/manager and if you stay in your job you will be a charge hand for most of the lifetime of the policy.
    SNIP

I wouldn't do that.

Until OP is actually a charge hand he makes a false declaration by saying that he is. The premium difference between charge hand and assistant would leave OP wide open to being accused of misrepresentation to obtain more favourable terms - an act which could constitute fraud as well as another specific offence under the RTA 1961 relating to misrepresentation.

Additionally, insurance contracts are written uberrima fides. Any such suggested slight of hand in relation to declared occupation would probably run foul of the concept to the detriment of the OP.

IMHO, OP should declare the precise factual situation. The underwriters might take a benign view.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    I wouldn't do that.

Until OP is actually a charge hand he makes a false declaration by saying that he is. The premium difference between charge hand and assistant would leave OP wide open to being accused of misrepresentation to obtain more favourable terms - an act which could constitute fraud as well as another specific offence under the RTA 1961 relating to misrepresentation.

Additionally, insurance contracts are written uberrima fides. Any such suggested slight of hand in relation to declared occupation would probably run foul of the concept to the detriment of the OP.

IMHO, OP should declare the precise factual situation. The underwriters might take a benign view.

I take your points, however, if the OP has been offered and accepted the position I dont think he is saying anything underhand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

€5,800 for insurance? WTF?

Have you had any claims or traffic convictions OP? Are you driving a v12 super car or something?

See if there are alternative titles you can use, but that are not incorrect. Titles are nonsense anyway.

See if there are alternative titles you can use, but that are not incorrect. Titles are nonsense anyway.[/quote]

My point is that giving a job title of a role that you have been offered and accepted isn't 'incorrect'.

Agree with your overall assessment of the price of the premium and that a job title would make such a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Killer K wrote: »
    I take your points, however, if the OP has been offered and accepted the position I dont think he is saying anything underhand

At a practical level you are quite right.

My point is simply that the law on insurance contracts is quite strict in relation to these matters. Therefore, you don't want to leave yourself open to comeback from insurers whereby they could void the contract. If OP declares the factually correct position to the underwriters that keeps everyone on side.

If OP put the exact position to the underwriters might they not give him the more favourable terms anyhow ? What would be the real difference in the insurance risk as between OP's current occupation and the forthcoming one ?

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    At a practical level you are quite right.

My point is simply that the law on insurance contracts is quite strict in relation to these matters. Therefore, you don't want to leave yourself open to comeback from insurers whereby they could void the contract. If OP declares the factually correct position to the underwriters that keeps everyone on side.

If OP put the exact position to the underwriters might they not give him the more favourable terms anyhow ? What would be the real difference in the insurance risk as between OP's current occupation and the forthcoming one ?

Yes and if there is no success in that approach two other potential options looking at it from another angle are:

1. Hold off on getting insured until the OP formally starts the new role. I admit that this would probably not be desirable for you OP in that you are probably keen to get driving.
    2. Explain the situation to the employers. Given the difference in premiums I would imagine that they would be able to see the additional value of the promotion to the OP and possibly be able to expedite the process. OP, you may already have tried this.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Micky___

I would seriously avoid insurance companies that fit a tracker to your car. I know they are cheaper but surely you will get insured with someone else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement