Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6A Lighting Circuit

Options
  • 25-03-2018 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I'm assuming that the 6A is due to the fact light fittings have exposed terminals when the bulb is removed.

I you fit lighting fixtures with non replaceable parts such as these:

http://enlitelighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/EN-BH220

can they be wired into the room sockets?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm assuming that the 6A

What 6A ?
    is due to the fact light fittings have exposed terminals when the bulb is removed.

What do you mean?
    I you fit lighting fixtures with non replaceable parts such as these:

http://enlitelighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/EN-BH220

can they be wired into the room sockets?

You could supply a light from a spur outlet connected to a socket circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

What 6A ?

Lighting circuits with 6A MCBs

What do you mean?

When you remove a light bulb the possibly live contact points are easy to touch in a much more accessible way than in most other cases, that is why I thought they had such a low (6 Amp) MCB?

Good way of doing it!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

What 6A ?

Lighting circuits with 6A MCBs

What do you mean?

When you remove a light bulb the possibly live contact points are easy to touch in a much more accessible way than in most other cases, that is why I thought they had such a low (6 Amp) MCB?

Good way of doing it!

For your own sake you shouldn't even consider doing anything to do with electrical work until you learn a lot more about electricity.
    The reason for lights being on a 6 Amp breaker is because they draw less current due to low wattage.
    A current of 30milliamps or 0.03 amps is enough to kill someone so 6 Amps would definitely not be a safe thing to touch when removing a light bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

aido79 wrote: »
    For your own sake you shouldn't even consider doing anything to do with electrical work until you learn a lot more about electricity.
    The reason for lights being on a 6 Amp breaker is because they draw less current due to low wattage.
    A current of 30milliamps or 0.03 amps is enough to kill someone so 6 Amps would definitely not be a safe thing to touch when removing a light bulb.
    Indeed. And also nothing like 6A will flow through you due to the impedance of the human body and Ohm's Law.

Don't worry, I'm not doing the work, I'm just curious to the ways I can ask for it to be done.

Always good to have an understanding of the systems that you use every day :-)

So is the MCB to protect the wiring in the house rather than the user?

RCD protects the user?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

So is the MCB to protect the wiring in the house rather than the user?

RCD protects the user?
    That's more or less it. There would be no possibility of a 6A MCB tripping due to a person making contact with 230v

Bruthal wrote: »
    That's more or less it. There would be no possibility of a 6A MCB tripping due to a person making contact with 230v

Great, thanks.

Advertisement