Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid-Life Crisis in my Late Teens

Options
  • 25-03-2018 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am 17 years old and I only have 2 close friends. They're my only friends at school and they both live close to me, but neither of them ever really want to do anything so I spend most of my free time in my room, playing video games or browsing the internet. It really hits me that I have absolutely no life when i'm off school like I am now.
    I feel so upset and angry at the same time when I go on my daily walks and see groups of friends talking and laughing together.
    I would do anything to be like them.
    I never went to any teen discos because I always thought they were stupid when I was younger but now I really think i'm missing out on all the good things that happen during a person's youth and I will have no memories to look back at when i'm an old man.
    I almost feel like this is a curse since all of my childhood friends ended up moving to other countries or counties.

I know i'm rambling at this point but I guess my real question is, does it get better in college and do well spent 20s make up for your wasted teenage years? I really need to know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yes of course you can make friends in college but you'll have to make the effort to break your old habits and really put yourself out there and take every social opportunity you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

There is tonnes of opportunities for everyone in college - but you need to make sure you take them, they won't roll into your lap!
    What hobbies do you have?
    Teenage discos are very hit and miss - really nothing to worry about missing - just make sure you make the most of your college opportunities :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Going to college will give you the opportunity to become who you really are, or want to be, without any baggage from school.

Look forward to it and think of it as the part of your life where you become your real self and embrace it, join societies, clubs, go to socials with class mates etc.

College tends to have a wider spectrum of people than your local secondary, just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SomeGuy1234323

Playing video games...? Don't really have any, i'm a boring person.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I never ever went to a teenage disco and I can't imagine I missed much.
    College is great, full of people just being themselves and studying interesting things. You do have to be prepared to meet people halfway though. I know lads who spent their free time in college doing LARPs and playing arcade games with GameSoc, others who spent most of their waking hours with the archery club, then others who were more academic and found their niche in the history or maths society. Maybe look up whatever college you are applying to and see what clubs and societies they have. The clubs won't come to you though so you will have to take the first step and go to coffee mornings, pub crawls etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

You're not a boring person. Youve lived your life up to now the way you choose. If you want to change how it'll be in the future you need to change how you think about yourself and others.
    Not everyobe goes to discos. But discos themselves arent stupid. Theyre just not for everyone. Dismissing them or other experiences as stupid just closes off opportunities.
    When youre heading to college make an effort to take part in things. Find whatever activity you enjoy and take part.

Advertisement