Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T80 easier thermal cut out

Options
  • 25-03-2018 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭

I have just installed the T80 easi 9kw bought from B&Q. Only 6 weeks old. Took a couple of showers and now it's only cold water from it.

I have now found out that the the thermal cut out is not allowing a through current.

Are these a 'One Pop' and replace, or should it auto-reset after a time-out?

And why would this thermal cut-out have tripped in the first place??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Unfortunately you bought a UK shower in B&Q so you have no warranty here in Ireland. You might have some comeback with B&Q themselves.

Can I ask how you know that it is the TCO? How did you test it to know that it is faulty?

Low water pressure will give the same symptoms as a faulty TCO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭clivej

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Unfortunately you bought a UK shower in B&Q so you have no warranty here in Ireland. You might have some comeback with B&Q themselves.

Can I ask how you know that it is the TCO? How did you test it to know that it is faulty?

Low water pressure will give the same symptoms as a faulty TCO.

Bought in B&Q in Dublin.
    I'm electrician , took the cover off the unit and traced the voltage and there was not any voltage on the output of the TCO.
    Used a voltmeter.

Anyway I have fixed it MOD SNIP <*>

But what made it trip in the first place?????

clivej wrote:
    Anyway I have fixed it MOD SNIP. Working now.

Your an electrician & you did that?

I'm stunned.

You don't know if the Tco will function as its supposed to now. It is a safety device. It is not a repairable./serviceable part. You have modified the shower & it's no longer Beab approved. If the shower went on fire your house insurance wouldn't pay out if they found out that you modified a safety feature in the shower.

All I can advise is to replace the Tco with a new one as should have been done in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭clivej

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Your an electrician & you did that?

I'm stunned.

You don't know if the Tco will function as its supposed to now. It is a safety device. It is not a repairable./serviceable part. You have modified the shower & it's no longer Beab approved. If the shower went on fire your house insurance wouldn't pay out if they found out that you modified a safety feature in the shower.

All I can advise is to replace the Tco with a new one as should have been done in the first place.

Yes I am and having read through many online fixes this will work.
    Do you remember when all these items had a reset button to re-set?????
    How do you think they work??? It's with a bi-metal strip held in place by a catch, all I did was to push it back onto the catch.

This TCO is not a 'Heat Fuse' that melts and must be replaced.

And what are your qualifications to question mine??????
    Do you even know what I'm talking about with my original question, because I still haven't got an answer as to why the TCO tripped???

clivej wrote: »
    Yes I am and having read through many online fixes this will work.
    Do you remember when all these items had a reset button to re-set?????
    How do you think they work??? It's with a bi-metal strip held in place by a catch, all I did was to push it back onto the catch.

This TCO is not a 'Heat Fuse' that melts and must be replaced.

And what are your qualifications to question mine??????
    Do you even know what I'm talking about with my original question, because I still haven't got an answer as to why the TCO tripped???

I remember when most houses didn't have an earth wire. I wouldn'r go back to that just because we thought it was safe at the time.

What you have done to the TCO would be like me repairing a fuse instead of replacing it. The fuse will let power through it so my appliance will work but I no longer have a fuse that will trip/blow when it's supposed to. Illegal & dangerous.

What temperature should your TCO trip out on? What temperature is it tripping out on now? Have you even bothered to test it? If they aren't the same temperature (They wont be) then you have made your shower unsafe.

A TCO is a temperature safety fuse. These are regulated by the EU. Each colour sticker matches up with a particular element. Always replace white with white, blue with blue etc. Each TCO with a different colour sticker trips at a different temperature. The manual reset TCO you speak of were never safe are illegal now & have been for decades

If it were a DIY warrior I'd be surprised that then try something like this & think it's safe but I'm genuinely blown away that an electrician with all your training would do something like that.

You've made your shower unsafe & because of this I wont explain why it tripped ( it's a temperature fuse) nor can I give any advice except to get a professional in to make your shower safe.

My qualifications are being trained in electric shower repair. This is what I do for a living & have been doing this for over 30 years now. I update my knowledge by training with Triton UK & Aqualisa every two years.

Bottom line you should NEVER modify any part in an electrical appliance. Parts like this are designed to be replaced not tampered with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Breakingbad123

Maby the shower people shouldn't be selling tco at twenty euro when they are not worth 5

Advertisement