Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about adult baptism.

Options
  • 25-03-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've recently done some mental restructuring, and religion is now an important part of my life. I feel so much love, gratefulness and devotion. (: I would love to get baptized, preferably in the ocean, or some other natural body of water. Is there any place in Ireland that does that? Full immersion adult baptisms in a river, ocean or lake? I'm in the Galway area, if it makes any difference. I've tried googling for a while, but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm very much new to all this.

Thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

These guys are local to you: http://www.gcf.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Suzy_2018

There are many churches that do 'full immersion' baptism. I would perhaps try plugging into one of them to arrange. St. Marks, St. Catherines, D.E.C. in Dublin, don't know any in Galway I'm afraid. I should think there is a probably a process that you might need to follow in advance with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Nick Park wrote: »
    These guys are local to you: http://www.gcf.ie

Since you're in Galway. GCF is a good place to contact. I've known some of the people there over 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I attend a regular Presbyterian church (by the sea) and we have many times performed adult baptism in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DatUserTho

I was aware of GCF, they seem like a great group of people. I suppose it makes sense I'd contact them! I'm not sure what I was looking for, haha. I have some reservations about being a part of a group right now, preferring to study by myself and listen to sermons online. I would like to stay solitary for a while first, I suppose that made me want to look for somewhere that would facilitate it in a more independent way. Thanks though! I think I'll contact GCF at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mmm. I see where you're coming from. While the theology of baptism obviously varies between different Christian traditions, most of them do see is as being (among other things) an initiation into the church, the community of believers. So they may be a bit hesitant about baptising someone who is drawn to Christian faith but "wants to stay solitary for a while". You may find that their attitude is "we'd love to baptise you - when you're ready!"

Which is not to say that you won't find anyone to baptise you, but expect to have a little bit of a negotiation about this aspect of it.

The other point that probably should be mentioned is that, if you have already been baptised (e.g. in infancy) you'll find that some Christian traditions are reluctant to baptise you again, since this goes against their understanding of baptism and grace. But you will certainly find others who are happy to baptise you, and still others who regard it as positively necessary that you be baptised as a believing adult. So if the first people you approach aren't keen, don't be afraid to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Excellent summary; thank you

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Mmm. I see where you're coming from. While the theology of baptism obviously varies between different Christian traditions, most of them do see is as being (among other things) an initiation into the church, the community of believers. So they may be a bit hesitant about baptising someone who is drawn to Christian faith but "wants to stay solitary for a while". You may find that their attitude is "we'd love to baptise you - when you're ready!"

Which is not to say that you won't find anyone to baptise you, but expect to have a little bit of a negotiation about this aspect of it.

The other point that probably should be mentioned is that, if you have already been baptised (e.g. in infancy) you'll find that some Christian traditions are reluctant to baptise you again, since this goes against their understanding of baptism and grace. But you will certainly find others who are happy to baptise you, and still others who regard it as positively necessary that you be baptised as a believing adult. So if the first people you approach aren't keen, don't be afraid to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Maybe Dara Molloy would be able to help you design a ceremony to baptise you without entering you into a particular religion. Based on Aran Islands.

Peregrinus wrote: »

That makes all the sense, and perhaps they'd be right! I have never been baptised yet at any point of life, and I think I'll try a little harder to find a group I'd like to be a part of. I've been thinking on this for about half a year and I thought that if not by now, then probably unlikely anytime soon, so I wanted to go ahead with it, haha.
    Maybe Dara Molloy would be able to help you design a ceremony to baptise you without entering you into a particular religion. Based on Aran Islands.

However, if I do not find a group, this would be perfect. What would you call a person who does this? How would I search for more people in this category? (I'm not from Ireland originally, and English isn't my first language.)

Thank you all for your replies so far! It's been really helpful.

DatUserTho wrote: »
    That makes all the sense, and perhaps they'd be right! I have never been baptised yet at any point of life, and I think I'll try a little harder to find a group I'd like to be a part of. I've been thinking on this for about half a year and I thought that if not by now, then probably unlikely anytime soon, so I wanted to go ahead with it, haha.

However, if I do not find a group, this would be perfect. What would you call a person who does this? How would I search for more people in this category? (I'm not from Ireland originally, and English isn't my first language.)

Thank you all for your replies so far! It's been really helpful.

Into whose Name do you want to be baptised? Dara seems to be more entwined in celtic pagan beliefs which are far from Christian. If you're wanting to publicly profess your belief in Christ then paganism isnt the way to go.

Where are you from? I might be able to point you in the direction of those who speak your language.
    PM me if you want,

• Advertisement

Into whose Name do you want to be baptised? Dara seems to be more entwined in celtic pagan beliefs which are far from Christian. If you're wanting to publicly profess your belief in Christ then paganism isnt the way to go.

Where are you from? I might be able to point you in the direction of those who speak your language.
    PM me if you want,

Yeah, I did see that upon visiting his website. As someone who wants to be baptised into the Christian faith, I wouldn't go with a celtic monk/priest indeed. The reason I asked what one would call what he is doing, is because I do appreciate the format. i.e. someone who will guide you through a particular transition, isolated from a bigger involvement on their part. I asked around and found what I might be looking for is a 'family celebrant', but I'm unsure! I do have loose contact with a retired priest, and I'll probably ask him about it. Also, thanks for the offer, but I prefer to hone my English some more instead of taking the easy route. :P Thank you for your suggestions! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

That looks a joyous occasion! Brave girl, it must have been freezing. :)

homer911 wrote: »

That was only a dip:) try Brittas bay during hurricane Charlie;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Did you do that? I well remember Hurricane Charlie. We were lucky to get to our destination and home again all in one piece. Lots of trees down that night. Very scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Impressive commitment. I'd always imagined the River Jordan as probably quite warm ;-)

Advertisement