Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MK5 Volkswagen Jetta opinions

Options
  • 24-03-2018 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a Vw jetta mk5 2008. It has the 1.9 tdi engine with 155,000 miles. Passed nct two weeks ago. Flywheel replaced recently too. Does anyone have any opinions on this model? Reliability? I know the BXE engine code is meant to be awful so i'll stay away from that. Are the other 1.9 engines fit for high mileage? Any problems in general/ anything to look out for when viewing it ? Any views appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

AFAIK all the 2008 1.9tdi would be BXE code and even a lot of the 2007 would be. Had a golf 07 with the BXE code but I sold it on at low mileage before it could become an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

aidan_paul wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thinking of buying a Vw jetta mk5 2008. It has the 1.9 tdi engine with 155,000 miles. Passed nct two weeks ago. Flywheel replaced recently too. Does anyone have any opinions on this model? Reliability? I know the BXE engine code is meant to be awful so i'll stay away from that. Are the other 1.9 engines fit for high mileage? Any problems in general/ anything to look out for when viewing it ? Any views appreciated.

The are all bxe but the bxe isn't an awful engine. It's biggest issue can be prevented.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aidan_paul

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The are all bxe but the bxe isn't an awful engine. It's biggest issue can be prevented.

How can it be prevented or how do I know a second-hand one isn't a time bomb?

How can it be prevented or how do I know a second-hand one isn't a time bomb?

Get the bottom end bearings changed. This is the cause of the crankshaft failure.

Get the bottom end bearings changed. This is the cause of the crankshaft failure.

But when the op is only looking at buying a 10 year old one for a couple of grand it’s hardly worth then spending a couple of hundred at least to get the big end bearings done on it. Just buy something that doesn’t have a BXE engine at all.

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »
    But when the op is only looking at buying a 10 year old one for a couple of grand it’s hardly worth then spending a couple of hundred at least to get the big end bearings done on it. Just buy something that doesn’t have a BXE engine at all.

Of course it's worth it. A couple of hundred is nothing in the grand scheme of things, especially if you intend on keeping the car fow awhile.

You will be dismissing a lot of cars if you try to avoid the bxe. Other variants aren't immune from conrod failure either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How much does that cost in terms of labour and parts? There’s be a good case for doing it if it wasn’t too dear.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much does that cost in terms of labour and parts? There’s be a good case for doing it if it wasn’t too dear.

Parts are cheap, bearing can be had from €60-€100. Labour depends on the garage but a couple of hours should see it done.

Well if you could be done by €500 then it makes as much sense as buying a car that needs a timing belt done.

Are the bxe in all 1.9 passats jettas golfs octavias from 08 until 2010? Or just jettas?

• Advertisement

They’re in a load of Seats, Skodas Audi’s and VWs, Theyre a 105PS variant, so not all 1.9s in that age range are 105PS and not all 105s of that vintage are BXE.

When did the 2.0tdi 110bhp or 1.6tdi 105bhp come out in the Jetta I am thinking no earlier that 2010 so would be more expensive to buy.

Well if you could be done by €500 then it makes as much sense as buying a car that needs a timing belt done.

I can't see it costing €500 to do tbh. It well worth doing if you are buying one of these or if you own one. I've seen the bearings badly chipped in these and about to go. In some others the bearings were fine but even in these circumstances changing them is still the way foward.

They’re in a load of Seats, Skodas Audi’s and VWs, Theyre a 105PS variant, so not all 1.9s in that age range are 105PS and not all 105s of that vintage are BXE.

Other variants are affected by conrod issue too though not as much as the bxe. I know there is another engine code affected as well but I can't think of which one it is.

If the conrod problem is caused by the bottom end bearings why can this problem happen at any mileage? I've seen posts elsewhere of it happening low mileage. Do bearings not wear only at high mileage?

If the conrod problem is caused by the bottom end bearings why can this problem happen at any mileage? I've seen posts elsewhere of it happening low mileage. Do bearings not wear only at high mileage?

No they can wear even at low enough miles. From what I seen 70-80 k miles seems to be the territory that they go at but some can go for much longer.

Advertisement