Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeper Bikes

Options
  • 24-03-2018 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone use them yet? Irelands latest Bike Hire scheme. As far a I know, its only Dublin and Sligo runniung it so far. Seems like an interesting idea, but with parking locations, so far only In Sligo Town, and Strandhill (for the Sligo Scheme), I cant see many journeys being long enough to make it worth while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They sit unused a lot in Dublin. Some appeared in west county Dublin/Wicklow a while back - totally bonkers IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ED E wrote: »
    They sit unused a lot in Dublin. Some appeared in west county Dublin/Wicklow a while back - totally bonkers IMO.

If they added Rosses Point, the Retail Park, and Colloney, it might make it more appealing. Other than to Strandhill, the longest it would take you to go from one end of town to the other on a bike, say from the Bus Station, to the Hospital or the IT, would be 5 to 10 minutes. Would it make the hire fees worth while, unless you were making multiple trips or journeys within your hours rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

The Sligo Weekender stated that bikes were available across the town, Strandhill, Rosses Point, Drumcliff and IT Sligo.
    Although the map on their website doesn't show some of those locations.

Precisely. Map does not show Drumcliff or Roses point.

You can't drop the bike at any old rack, fence, or lamppost, but only those on the website/App.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

ED E wrote: »

Dublin City Council banned them but they may soon be allowed ( I think a decision will happen in May, for now they are only rolled out in Dun-L/Rathdown)

why is it bonkers?

some parts of Dublin are not served at all by the councils Dubln Bike scheme

Bleeper allows single journeys unlike DB (need to subscribe for a year or get a 3 day hire)

Bleeper is stationless (although has designated parking spots) - allows for quicker roll out and can service areas that DB don't seem to care for (Kimmage, Crumlin, Perrystown, Terenure etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Are these actually up and running in Sligo? Must sign up if so, look like they would be super handy getting from town to Strand Hill.

panda100 wrote: »
    Are these actually up and running in Sligo? Must sign up if so, look like they would be super handy getting from town to Strand Hill.

They are. Click my link in the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Have been using the bikes daily since I moved up to Sligo. They are fantastic! Much better than the city bike sheme bikes as you can cycle and park them anywhere without being charged extra. The only downside is that the adjustable saddle is far too low. At it's highest it probably would only suit someone about 5'8. I'm 6'1 and I look like Mr Bean cycling around on it. I had planned to cycle out to Strandhill etc on them but I'll get injured with that low saddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Advertisement