Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost to wire new bungalow

Options
  • 24-03-2018 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi just wondering could anybody give me a rough cost of getting a new build 1200sq/ft bungalow wired ? Very standard light /sockets, oil heating, outside sockets and 5/6 spot lights on outside soffit

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi Digged, you would need to provide a lot more detail to get a meaningful reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Digged

30 double sockets
    7 lights + switches
    28 internal spot lights for kitchen and hall
    5 external spot lights for soffit
    Oil and solar heating
    Double outside socket
    4 outside wall lights

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

28 lights for the kitchen and hall? Typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Digged

2011 wrote:
    28 lights for the kitchen and hall? Typo?

Yes roughly. It's a kitchen/dining/living area and then a front hall also

• Advertisement

Digged wrote: »
    Yes roughly. It's a kitchen/dining/living area and then a front hall also

A little of topic, but anyway:
    There is no right and wrong with lighting. It is down to personal presence, once the end user is satisfied and it is practical that is all that matters.

However I feel that the “runway look” of rows and rows of down lighters date houses. You will also find that it doesn’t light as effectively as would be expected either.

Kitchens require bright lighting over counter tops, I feel that this is best achieved with LED strip lighting installed under the overhead presses. With don lighters you tend to work in your own shadow. Pendants on long cables hanging low over dining tables tend to work well too especially when controlled from a dimmer switch. Another option is to install 5A sockets, this offers a lot of flexibility. Ultimately only light the areas that actually need light, not the areas that don't.

Down lighters have their place, but I feel they are not a complete solution.

Anyway, it is your call. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

2011 wrote: »
    You will also find that it doesn’t light as effectively as would be expected either.

With down lighters you tend to work in your own shadow.

100%!

Advertisement