Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New teacher, what do I need to know?

Options
  • 24-03-2018 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I will be a qualified biology teacher in about 2 months time and the reason I’m posting this is so I actually know what the story with jobs and so forth is.
    My subject is biology and I have conducted all of my placements in Gaelcholáistes as I am fluent. I’m hoping that this will make it easier to get a job. Can someone give me information as to what I actually need to know, and what is the job market like? I’d obviously love a full 22 hour contract and I’ve been told that I should have no problem getting one as I can teach science through Irish but I honestly know very little about when jobs begin to become advertised and when interviews and so forth are held as I’m also trying to plan my summer to see what months I can go away. If someone could just give me some general information as to how the system works with regards to the job hunt works I’d be extremely greatful! Ive looked on educationposts but it seems very early as nothing is advertised yet really. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

Jobs usually go up after Easter. Anytime from then on. There have been a few uo already in my area.

General idea is the early jobs are a re-advertisement for a 2nd year contract towards getting CID so majority of jobs are gone. Not always true though as I have seen people not get taken back for a second year.

I used to think you’d be safe enough going away in July but a couple of years ago when I was relocating, I had two interviews the 2nd week of July, one of which I actually got the job so it’s hard to say when you should book hols. Usually August is the busiest month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I wouldn’t count on falling into a 22 hour contract, especially with biology as a subject. Everyone science teacher and his dog has biology. With science as Gaeilge, you probably will find a contract somewhere but don’t count on it being 22 hours.

If you’re sure you need to get away, July is probably the month for it but you’ll also miss out on the opportunity to mark exams. They’re usually looking for examiners, especially ones who are competent to mark through Irish, and you might make some useful connections and tips about where jobs might be coming up.

August is probably when most of the interviews will be, just because teachers who are leaving will often give the minimum amount of notice so many school managers don’t know what they need until the notice letters start coming in the middle of July.

May (assuming you’ll be done) or June are probably the safest months to go away but you can’t count on those really either. June is a good month to start dropping cvs into schools though because the managers are usually hanging around for the exams but don’t necessarily have an awful lot to do so you might get more opportunities to put a face to your cv and make an impression, which can make a difference if you’re looking for subbing during the school year (and you shouldn’t assume you won’t be).

Advertisement